ember hope [1]

M A Y A

  Three days after our final ultrasound, Josh decided to take me out to the movies. We were sitting, watching the new avengers movie.

  I had been having mini contractions all day, but shrugged them off as nothing. Again, I had a contraction, except this one felt a tad bit more intense.

  "Babe, you okay?" Josh asked me when I unconsciously squeezed his hand.

  "I'm okay but I think maybe my contractions are getting stronger now."

  His eyes bulged, "When did they start? Maya!"

  "Hey, chill. This morning but they weren't intense and I thought they were Braxton Hicks. I think we should go back to the apartment and time them with Riley and Farkle."

  We decided to leave and when we walked into the apartment, Riley was cooking in the kitchen and Farkle was setting the table.

  Farkle raised a brow, "Why are you home early? Is it.."

  "Baby time? Maybe." Josh replied, setting the stuff down on the table and helping me walk to the couch.

  "Oh my goodness!" Riley squealed.

  "My contractions are consistent and getting stronger, but I don't know for sure yet. I wanted to time them with you guys." I said. I was so excited.

  Riley and I finished packing the bags and we all sat on the couch. It wasn't awkward, but comfortable, to have them all there with me.

  I grabbed Josh's hand in a rush, as an intense contraction spread across my whole belly. I breathed heavily as I rested my head on Riley's shoulder.

  "Two and a half minutes." Farkle counted as he held his iPhone with a timer on it.

  "I think we should head to the hospital." Josh stood up and grabbed the bags.

  I smiled, "Riley, Farkle, would you be in there with us? My parents are in vacation and-"

  "Of course, peaches." Riley smiled.

  "I will, but only if you want me to. I don't want you to feel awkward." Farkle chuckled nervously.

  "It's fine," I agreed.

R I L E Y

  "Breathe, in and out, sweetheart." A sweet nurse instructed Maya once we arrived.

  The room was tiny, with lots of monitors and a warmer bed for the baby. It was perfect though. Farkle had his arms around my waist as we watched them labor together.

  "Shh, relax." Josh soothed. Maya scrunched up her nose in discomfort and stiffened her back with the contraction. Josh rubbed her back, massaging her and trying to help. "You're doing so good."

  I smiled at Farkle, who had a mix look of terror and excitement.

  A nurse swung the door open, with the doctor following behind her. The doctor smiled at us, "Maya, I need to check your progress. Would you two step behind the curtain

  "Oh my," Farkle yelped.

  "Shut up." I smacked him. "Yes, of course." I dragged him away practically.

  The doctor checked and then stood up. "Maya, you are eight centimeters dilated. You're doing very well."

  Maya is so brave; so strong. I wonder how I'll react, or better yet, Farkle. I don't even want to think about it.

F A R K L E

  "Here it comes again." Maya sighed as she winced in pain again. Josh stood his ground, his hands holding onto Maya's tiny ones.

  Josh was so calm. Will I be that calm? I asked myself. No, that's a definite no.

  I watched as they labored on. Josh looked up at Riley and I.

  "I'm gonna go call our parents to update them." He began. "Could you take my place, Riley?"

  She smiled her cheery smiled and nodded her head.
"Hey Maya." She said softly as she sat down, one hand on her own growing baby bump. "You're so close."

  "I hope so," Maya said with a sigh. "Thanks, Riles. I love you."

  "I love you too. Oh my, I gotta pee! Baby on bladder, baby on bladder. Farkle, take my place!" Riley said in a rush and ran out.

  Oh no, I have to help Maya. I'm freaking about Riley, and now Maya.

  I sat down next to her and she grabbed onto my sleeve as a contraction hit her. I bit my lip nervously; what to do, what to do.

  "I'm right here, Maya. You can hold my hand if you want to." I encouraged her and but she declined. Strong... but needs help.

  "Oh my goodness." She yelped and she grabbed my hand. "I need Josh."

  Yeah, I know.

  "Breathe, Maya. Just relax. You're so close." I think; I hope.

  She held on tight to my hand, sweat on her face. "I think it's time."

  My eyes widened, "for what?"

  She hissed, "For what? To push, you idiot!"

  Oh no! Get in here Josh!

  "Wh-what?"

  "Minkus! Get the doctor!"

  I did as she said and before long they came in to make sure she was ready.

  I turned around to see Josh and Riley walking in. They both hurried in and Josh out a hand on my shoulder.

  "What's going on?"

  The doctor answered before me. "Transition into pushing! Whoever is coming, we are heading to labor and delivery. Let's go now!"

  Josh smiled at Maya, "Ready to have a baby, Maya?"

  "Joshua!" She smacked him. "This is no time for calm, leisure conversations. I'm about to birth your daughter."

  "Let's do this." He chuckled to himself.