trusting you

Josh was freaking out, all while also beaming with excitement. It was Monday, the day he had planned to pick up Maya from the college to go hang out. He had something special planned. He knew that he had to regain her trust after all he had put her through. She deserved the world.

  "Hey Josh!" Maya said, swinging open the door of Josh's truck and hopping in. She was wearing a cute tee shirt and bell bottom jeans, with her hair in a high pony tail.

  "How was school?" Josh inquired as he revved up the engine of his truck and drove off. 

  "Same old, same old." Maya uttered. "Just finishing up my last few classes for my degree." She fastened her seat belt. "Did you know that I'm going to be a counselor?"

  Josh looked over at Maya. "That's awesome, Maya. You'll do great."

  "Thank you! Oh." She sputtered out in between bellowing giggles. "Today, our teacher was talking about families and somehow it turned into a conversation about Lucas and Isadora having a baby. Did you know that?" 

  He cut her off, his eyes widening. "Hold up. The cowboy and the genius' girlfriend are having a baby?"

  She sighed. He was so out of the loop. "Yes, they got married this summer. Now, the genius and Riley are engaged."

  "What?" He lifted his hands into the air.

  "Hands on the wheel, boing!" Maya yelled, still giggling. "Yes! They are getting married in December, during Christmas break. Didn't you see the huge diamond ring on her hand?"

  "Well, I assumed it was from the cowboy." He snorted through his laughter. "Dr. Turtleneck and my niece are pretty cute, I must admit. I always though they'd be a good match."

  "Yeah, they are pretty great. Also, where are we going?" Maya pondered all while looking at the empty road in the middle of nowhere. 

  "You'll see." He smirked and she smacked him.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  They pulled into an old, rusty parking garage and Maya's eyed widened. She always had an eye to see the beauty in the usual. "What is this place?"

  "Just come with me. Do you trust me?" Josh asked, grabbing Maya's hand, his eyes searching hers for the answer. She nodded. For her, that was a big step.

  Josh walked her up the ramps. She was very curious. He made it up past what everyone knew as the highest parking ramp to the roof. The hidden roof. You could see so much and you wouldn't think that nobody came her anymore. It was so old, but it was his favorite spot.

  "Woah." Maya's mouth dropped. "It's-It's perfect, Josh."

  "I had hoped you'd like it. I know I do." He smiled. "I come here quite often." 

  "How?" Maya began confusedly. "Your school was five more hours from here."

  He chuckled and sat down on the ground. "It was so beautiful, Maya. It was worth it. No place compared." He smiled and grabbed her hand gently. "I came her and thought about you. I never dated. I hardly even hung out with any other girls. Maya, I really was waiting for you. I never called because - well - I was scared."

  She shifted her body towards his and sat up straight. "Of what?" 

  "Rejection." He sighed again. "I thought that maybe you'd moved on. You were in high school. Things happen. You meet new people." His smooth voice turned raspy as tears welled in his eyes. "Maya, I love you. I never wanted, or want, to lose you. Ever."

  "Josh, I thought maybe I lost you. After my dad left, I began being scared of love because of what I saw my mom go through. When I saw you show interest in me for who I was, I was thrilled. When you didn't ever call or visit, I expected the worse." Her blue eyes twinkled in the sunset. "I've held onto you for a very long time, Josh. When my mom married Shawn, he started being there for me as a dad and I saw him being there for my mom. I started believing in love again."

  "I am so sorry I put you through that, Maya. I would never leave you." He pulled into a hug.

  "I know you wouldn't. You're a Matthews, remember?" She grinned. 

  "I am, aren't I?" 

  "You are."

  "Maya, I want to put effort in. I want you to be able to trust me with your life." 

  "I am already starting to trust you again." Maya said, looking into his dark brown eyes.

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎