change

Two weeks passed and everyone was sitting at the cafe. School was out for the weekend and everybody was bored out of their minds. "Well," Maya began impatiently.

  "How's life?" Farkle perked up, annoying Maya even more with his abruptness.

  "I had my first doctor's appointment for the baby. Lucas and I got to hear the heartbeat and see the baby on the ultrasound. " Isadora said with a smile. She was radiant, her skin was glowing. She reached in her purse and pulled out the ultrasound. "Look here. We're ten weeks today."

  Everyone passed it around the room and were in awe of the little baby in the photo. Riley embraced her friend in a hug. "That's so wonderful."

  "Wow! That thing doesn't even look like a human." Zay bursted out, causing an uproar of laughter in the cafe. 

  "Well, the baby is the size of a jellybean." Lucas reassured him with a pat on the shoulder. 

  "You guys will be great parents!" Farkle encouraged. 

  "I can't wait to see that little one!" Maya agreed.  

  The room was quiet again and then Zay chirped up. "Do you think it is a boy or a girl?" 

  "Well, we think it's a boy." Lucas said, smiling at his young wife. "But, we'll find out in a few months. Either way, we're very excited."

  "Do you have any names?" Riley asked. She definitely had a case of baby fever and everything from baby names to little outfits fueled the fire.

  "For a girl, we like Olivia." Isadora said. "For a boy, we like Paxton and Landon."

  "I love them!!" Riley squealed. "Oh, Farkle, don't you?"

  He laughed at his ecstatic fiancé. "Yeah, I do, Riles."

  "And, what's up with everyone else?" Lucas asked.

  "Well, I got a transfer script in the mail." Zay sighed.

  "What?" The whole group asked.

  "They want me to come to Texas for training. I'd go from now until Summer. Of course, I'd get to have Christmas break off here for the wedding." He folded his hands in his lap.

  "Why can't they just have you come in the fall? You know, when you're supposed to?" Maya was frustrated. "This is our senior year of college and we should be together. I know that after graduation, we all may go separate ways. But, no. Not now." She had tears in her eyes.

  Zay was frustrated also. "I have to go if I want to be on the team."

  "That will be good for, man. You're going to become a pro. It's a good opportunity and whether or not we like it, we need to get used to change." Lucas said with a sigh.

  "We do. There will be a lot of change. But we can always come back here." Farkle agreed.

  "It's home." Riley smiled through tears. She had her arm around Maya. 

  Maya sat up. "You're right. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. You'll do great. When do you have to leave?"

  Zay looked at the ground. He wasn't sure how everyone "In two weeks."

  "Oh." Maya sighed. "Well, let's meet here tomorrow night at seven - the normal."

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ 

  It was just the two of them sitting at the cafe, talking about life and filling each other in on everything that had been missed. Maya wasn't pouring smoothies on his head this time and it was absolutely magical. They were asking each other questions.

   "Josh, where do you see yourself in two years?" Her curiosity had gotten the better of her.

  He smirked. "With you. Married, with a little baby." 

  That made her heart stop. He wanted a life with her and a family? 

  She was hoping that those things could come true. She prayed it could be true. But for now, she was focusing on getting to a point where they knew each other so well that they knew what they had would last. She wanted a relationship like her mom and Shawn, not like her birth father.

  "What about you, Maya?" He asked, hoping for the same response.

  She wanted to be completely vulnerable. "I'd love to hope that we would be together: married with a family. I hope for that. I really do."

  "Good."

  She gave him a confused look. What does good mean?

↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎  ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎ ↠︎  ↠︎ ↠︎