A String of Stars 5

A String of Stars 5

Present day

Now he had sleeves. Her eyes ran fondly over her son. And she was used to them. He had a good woman, not some bimbo who had leeched onto him like by the pool that day. Marissa seemed solid. Her love for Jacks and their son shone in her eyes any time she looked at one of them.

Propping her chin on the side of the pool, she watched through the window into the lighted house as he and Marissa moved about the kitchen. The gurgle of the Jacuzzi drowned out any of the night sounds. Matt’s foot found hers.

“What are you thinking about?” he wondered quietly.

Transferring her attention to him, she settled back against him. “A lot of things.”

“Like?”

“Like I hate what Meg is going through. Like I wonder if Jacks got Mike to the airport without hitting him.”

“Probably not,” Matt’s answer was wry.

“For sure not.” She let her toes play with his.

“He’s a good brother, always has been.”

“And now exceptional father and husband.”

“Jules?” Matt was the one staring into the stars and satellites now and his words were regretful. “Cari, I’m sorry I didn’t step out of touring sooner.”

Following his sights to the millions of lights overhead, she wondered, “What brings this on?”

“Jacks. What he is doing. I should have done it the second we had kids. Instead of trying to drag them on the road. And later, especially, instead of leaving you here with them.”

“It was different with us. We did it right, Matt. They had the best of both worlds.”

“Sometimes, I don’t think they did. Sometimes, I think that is why Jacks got out of that part of the business as soon as he had a family.”

“Because?”

“Because, maybe he hated it as a kid.”

“He hated it as an adult, Matt. How many times has he said or demonstrated over the years that he hated touring?” Matt muttered something that sounded agreeable, and she grabbed his hand, lacing his fingers with hers.

The years replayed like a short movie. Where did the time go? She didn’t feel old. Neither of them looked old. The years were good to anyone who could afford to stall with the newest sciences the ravages aging inflicted on energy and appearance.

“We did it right,” she softly repeated. “It was right for us.” Jacks wandered to the door, peering into the dark, and spun about on his heel back to Marissa. . “And now Jacks is doing what is right for his family.”

_______

Hard to believe it has been a year since this book of holiday one shots was begun. Hope everyone that celebrates the holiday has a wonderful one. Thanks to each of you for your love of Matt and Jules. Rock on!