A String of Stars 4

A String of Stars 4

Six Years Later

“I still don’t believe this!” Jules hissed.

“I’m having a lot of trouble with it myself.” Matt whispered back.

They were in the kitchen of their home. It was Christmas Day and it had been an emotional rollercoaster ride of a holiday. It had all begun a few weeks ago when she had dropped in unexpectedly on Jacks while in LA. Several of the rudest women she had ever encountered were languishing about the crescent shaped pool area.

Jacks had been inside the house with his band getting high. Well, truthfully, she hadn’t seen her son with any of the various substance paraphernalia, no one bothered to hide, in his hand, but he had seemed off that day. And he had only been randomly answering hers and Matt’s texts or calls for months.

They had moved to the kitchen for privacy where she had made her disappointment and displeasure known. “Jackson, do not throw your life away,” she had urged. She still remembered the way the tears pricked her eyes. Thoughts of her father, and his rock star life were heavy in her mind when she looked at the array of drugs on the coffee table, and on the bar right here beside her.

“I’m fine, Mom, I promise.”

“Are you doing these drugs?”

“No!”

He had walked her to her car and the driver of the car service had nonchalantly read a paper while she hugged her son. “When are you coming in for Christmas?”

“Not sure. But I will be there. Never fear, Mom.” And before she could breathe easier, he had added, “In fact, Elena will be coming with me.”

“Elena?” Warily, she parroted when his head tipped toward the pool area. “No. Jacks, honey, it’s Christmas. Don’t bring some girl. It’s family.”

“She’s my girlfriend.” She dead leveled her best intimidating mother stare and he pressed, “Meg had Mike at every holiday.”

“They were engaged!”

“Maybe I am too!”

Horror instead of the hope she had always thought she would feel upon this revelation from Jacks caused her mouth to fall open, and realizing it, she clamped it closed. Please no, don’t let one of those bitches become my daughter-in-law.

“Okay, I’m not. But we are serious.”

“So serious that you didn’t introduce her?” Mentally, she made the pool rounds trying to remember someone suitable for her son’s heart. But each woman had given her a sneering stare, acting as if she were here at the house asking where Jacks was for more personal reasons than being his mother. Finally figuring out that she was his mother, one of them had practically yawned and pointed inside. “Jacks, don’t bring some random sl—woman to Christmas.”

“Whatever, Mom. Be safe.” He bent several inches to kiss her cheek. “Tell dad hi. Thanks for coming, and all that.”

Then, he had gone back to not answering calls or texts. At last a text had arrived a few days ago.  And as she had read the screen on her tiny flip phone, she felt a tear slide down her cheek.

Jacks
Not sure I’m going to make it there for xmas. Band obligations. Very sorry.
Sent 12:02 PM

Positive that she had made him angry about this Elena person, she had tried to call him prepared to make amends. But again, there was no answer. Matt had finally forced a call from him, and their son had stuck to the band excuse.

Then, this morning, as they had all been piling their plates high with breakfast, he had strolled in. As if he had been expected all along. Alone. Thankfully.

But, even without a sleazy woman, he had still brought the shock factor.

Several tattoos adorned each of his arms. Oblivious to their stares, he hung his jacket over the back of a barstool and picked the top plate from the warmer.

Meg was more verbal. “Jackson! What the hell!”

“Like?”

“Hate!” she retorted.

“Mom?” his voice softened, and his eyes were clear of the glint of rebellion that so often glittered within their dark depths. In fact, he seemed sympathetic to whatever he was reading in her expression.

“Are they real, or is this one of your jokes?”

“There is a guy in LA. He’s really good.”

Sadly, she put her fingers to her grown boy’s arm. “Why would you do something like this, Jacks? Were you drunk?”

Hurt flashed through his gaze before a dark wall went up, and she regretted her words.

“I wasn’t drunk. I’ve planned it for ages.”

“It’s good work,” she acceded. “I’ll get used to it.” Forcing a smile, she patted the front of his tee shirt. “Just don’t go all crazy and get sleeves or whatever they are called.”

The smile he had forced had worried her. With good reason.