Prologue

Prologue

take a bite of my soul tonight 

*****

The night had started off well enough. A tavern around the corner lit up the cobblestone pathways in the vicinity, both with the light emanating from its windowed walls and the joyous conversations taking place within. Aaliyah personally wasn't too enamored with its warm glow, but she could understand why others enjoyed the welcoming aura surrounding it. This aged building was most obviously the pinnacle of the small town, especially during the tenebrous night when it lured all who passed it with gratifying fervor. Nonetheless, Aaliyah felt much less lonely outside with the gleaming moon than amongst the people inside.

Leaning up against a brick wall in one of the many dusty alleys in the area gave her the respite she desperately needed. She preferred staying in places where people stuck to their own business and left her alone, but she had to admit, there were perks to staying in places like this as well. The townsfolk had provided her a place to stay for free, no questions asked as long as she was willing to pick up a few of the chores around the tavern. They also showered her with care, never ceasing to force large quantities of food into her system, leaving her with an aching belly much like the one she had that night.

Although it was nice and familial, it often made her uncomfortable. She had grown up an orphan, knowing that her parents hadn't wanted her. Because of this, the kindness these people had to offer was more than she'd ever experienced before, if not simply overwhelming.

Sliding down the wall until she was in a sitting position, Aaliyah briefly wondered what it would have been like to have a family. She opened her hands in front of her to cradle a scene made of the fire she could conjure. Her body was warmed from the heat provided by the two small figures, people she make-believed were her parents. Lifting up another drop of yellow heat, she crafted a figure representing herself and wrapped the former two in a warm hug. Two other blazing forms represented the sister she imagined she would have had and a large dog that would topple her when she wasn't too careful. A rueful smile crossed her lips from the mere thought of a fantasy that she was silly enough to wish for. It was a wonderful dream, however unrealistic, and shattered when she heard the sound of approaching footsteps.

Aaliyah glanced up, ready to tell whoever it was that she wasn't looking for company. Then, before she had a chance to identify her attacker, her hair was pulled, propelling her head against the other wall bordering the alley. It was painful enough that she lost all previous train of thought. In their abandonment, one remained in the form of an instinctual reaction her body had to any sort of trouble.

She had to run.

Her legs crumbled when she tried to stand though, giving her attacker enough time to push her right back into the ground. He laughed a little, and a glance up revealed the crazed expression of a man she didn't recognize, his rough long hair swaying in the motion. His embarrassingly dainty hands reached for her face, and she flinched, unprepared for what she assumed would be another attack. On the contrary, when his hands made contact with her skin once again, it was only the lightest of touches, and then, everything became dark.

Without warning, she was lifted and carried elsewhere. Aaliyah no longer could see anything, hear anything, or really sense anything at all. Everything had gone numb, but through it, she could just barely tell that she was moving.

Seconds later, pain began to spread throughout her body. It was dizzying, so ghastly that she was surprised when she didn't hear her deafening screams in response. It felt like her body was being ripped limb from limb. Her consciousness faded with the pain, and Aaliyah briefly wondered what the afterlife would be like until she wondered no more.

*****

This has gone through an editor! Props to @callithyia for the beautiful wording throughout this part. As far as I'm concerned, I've polished this up to the best of my ability, but let me know if you see anything that could make it better.

Thanks, Nik

*****

Banner by yours truly, nikolaskay