Chapter Two

Chapter Two

the hood covers more than just the head

*****

Melodic voices and an assortment of instruments blared above the cheering and laughter of Emelle. Their summer festival was in full-swing, and although that variable was one Aaliyah hadn't accounted for, it would be a great distraction while their job took place. That is, it was until a stranger approached her and began to speak to her.

"The color of your hood is quite exquisite, miss. It almost looks like the one that the leader of Hood is described to wear. Where did you get it?" In that moment, Aaliyah froze, and her heartbeat quickened until she could feel the pulse at the top of her head. Careful to keep her facial expressions under control, she sent a fleeting message to Exander.

They know I wear a red hood? He ignored her question, and proceeded to hold his hand out to the man, meanwhile Aaliyah's mind reeled. The hood had been a gift, and it meant more to her than her life. She would rather let herself become captured before she'd allow it to leave her side. However, a glance towards Exander (who was surely in the middle of using his wit to charm this stranger) proved that maybe she was willing to let it sit at the bottom of her bag until their mission was complete.

". . . adventurous, climbing trees and getting it caught in all sorts of things along the way. It would be absolutely impossible to keep it from accumulating so many tears while on her back," Exander explained charismatically, an easy smile rolling over his lips. It hadn't occurred to her the last time he spoke aloud, but his voice was one that wasn't needed often, and it was rough from the lack of use. Aaliyah wondered if her voice was like that too, almost in a similar way to the cape that hung from her shoulders, with delicate tatters fraying at the outskirts of its body and decided that she would put her theory to the test the next time the opportunity arose in the conversation.

The man chuckled over Exander's choice of words. "Sounds like quite a troublemaker. Is she your wife?"

The question even had Exander's magnetic composure in a state of utter shock. Aaliyah's first instinct was to tell the man that she was somewhere around fifty years older than the faerie, but that wasn't what it looked like to the average passerby. Although she had been left to flaunt her seventeen-year-old body, time had managed to age her enough to appear somewhere in her twenties, which was where Exander landed on the scale of age. With Exander's vast knowledge of pretty much everything Aaliyah did, married was a reasonable assumption. That didn't mean she had to like it though.

A few seconds passed, and they were precious seconds during which anyone could trace the lie in each and every one of her words. "A-actu-actually, we-we're cousins," she forced her fake-smiling mouth to sputter, the obvious falseness and unwelcome rasp in her voice embarrassing her. She could only hope that the former would be mistaken for discomfort of being confused as husband and wife at the very least.

The guy scratched at his head, tilting it a little in confusion. "Really? Oh, well, you should join the festivities if you have time. Tasnn Stilfeather is having a special event tomorrow night, and it's really something you guys don't want to miss." He expressed a crooked smile. "Hope to see you there."

With those words, he wandered off, most likely to find someone else to talk to. Aaliyah watched after him, replaying the conversation in her mind. Exander and her, married. It was a ridiculous notion. Exander was only meant to be her friend, if she could even claim such a relationship without perhaps stretching the truth a little bit. Still, she couldn't help but wonder if he felt the same way.

Aaliyah was close to mentioning it to him when he spoke first. "Let's go check into the hotel." Her nod released the words she had planned into oblivion, and at the same time sent the two of them to the place that they'd be staying at for several days, maybe a week. Sure, they had a plan, but it would require a hefty amount of finesse to keep them from being suspected.