12. Goodbye to You, Hello to Determination

[ T w e l v e ]

I scrubbed the floors hard that day, letting my uncertainty out. Maybe she was lying, I mean, if what she saying was true, what Natsu did to me would be minuscule compared to what I could do to him. I could get revenge, payback...

"Lucy?" A timid voice asked me. I looked up to hit my head on the table.

Great... I muttered. I recognized that voice instantly, and a throbbing head was not how I wanted to lead our conversation.

Yukino hesitantly sat on cafe chair, and I took a pause from work to join her. The boss woman was probably reading anime porn or too busy to see I was slacking.

"I haven't heard from you in a while..." I awkwardly started. If there was wanting unique about our relationship is that Yuki and I could talk eons and eons without losing hold of a subject, but it looked like that was now diminished as well.

"Lucy did you know?" She asked, eyes watering.

"Know what...?"

"Oh I've been such a horrible best friend." She began wailing out of a sudden. "I still can't get my head wrapped up around it, I mean, how could I — we — have been so oblivious?" She cried.

"I knew." I said in a small voice.

"I mean — wait, what?"

"I knew about his feelings for you, Yukino."

She stuttered, her wide eyes staring at me intensely.

"I've known since the seventh grade." I confessed. "I thought his feelings would change as we got older, after all, you hardly payed him any attention right?" I laughed bitterly. "Maybe he would go after the girl that's been wanting him for so long, but apparently not. It's always been you Yukino, always." I whispered.

"I kissed him Lucy I'm so sorry!" She continued to cry.

"Yeah, I saw that too."

"You probably hate me." She questioned, her wide eyes staring into mine.

I wanted to, I really to but I wasn't going to put years of friendship away because of the boy that was always between us.

"I wouldn't be able to Yuki, we've been close for so long." Even if it'll always be different now.

"It's ok though! I don't like him. I can convince him, make this alright— "

"Yuki, honestly just stop it. It's not happening, it's not going to happen. I know you have some feelings for him," you couldn't have liked that kiss as much as much if you didn't. "I just want you guys to be happy." Even if it came on my own expense.

I finally understood now, maybe this was what Rogue was trying to get in me that time, it just wasn't meant to be. Even if I was still holding onto feelings for the boy I've liked since the second grade, and it's been one screwed up triangle since then, I finally realized why he could never see me. How Yukino must have wanted to experiment with possible feelings for him but couldn't because of me. How they could've been together already if it wasn't. For. Me. I was the obstacle in their path, and I did need to be removed.

"Just forget about my feelings for him," I whispered. "You guys could have been so much if it wasn't for me."

Her silence told me she knew this too, she just didn't want it to be true.

"We're leaving tomorrow."

"Two weeks are over."

"I won't see you for a while, will I?"

"I can't as long as they're still looking out for me, you know that."

"Maybe you could convince him? The poor guy doesn't seem that bad."

"He is." I shuddered, remembering how intent my father was on me marrying him, and how he completely okay he was with it, enthusiastic even. His dark red, unforgettable hair and eyes that matched it still haunted me miles away. I was finally away from Dan Straight, and I couldn't have been more glad.

Yukino winced sympathetically, her face letting out a sad smile.

"I have to go soon... clear things up with Sting and Rogue at the hotel. Be good Lucy?"

I laughed. "I always am."

Yuki raised a brow but didn't say anything. They say it's best to let others have what they want in their final moments, except I wasn't dying.

I got up to hug her, really hug her. Not those short embraces people had as a way of greeting, but where you could put a lot of emotions in them. It was a "luckino" hug.

"I'm going to miss you so much, again." She sniffled into my hair.

"I will too." I said sadly.

We stood there for a while, until Yukino let go, saying she was already late. She looked regretful as she let me go, stepping back.

"Be nice to Natsu, Lucy." She warned teasingly.

I laughed and waved goodbye to her, not a chance.

[ Next chapter oooooh we're finally getting to the good stuff haha. XD ]