The Wedding

This was it.

My last day as a Fierre.

I wasn't sure what was stronger, my nerves or excitement.

         My long, white, flowing gown was beautiful, it looked even better than the day I first saw it. My hands gripped tightly onto the bouquet, trying to disguise my shaking. Handmaidens rushed around me, adding to the finishing touches whilst I just stared at myself in the mirror. Charlotte had Carsen in her arms, watching as everyone fussed over me. My mother approached me, holding the veil in her hands, as if she too had a baby.

"This day has come too fast." she whispered, mostly to herself.

"You're telling me." I let out a shaky laugh, not able to look her in the eye.

"Here," she pinned the veil in my hair, which was now curled along with some braids,"now you're ready."

"I don't think I'll ever be ready."

"You are and you know it. Embrace this day because I can tell you that it is all going to be over very soon."

"I'm hoping."

"No, no you won't hope that. Embrace this, it's your day."

My day?

My day?

She must be joking.

           Ignoring my thoughts, I smiled back at her, glancing towards Charloote who gave me a look as if to say 'don't upset your mother today'. She was right though, this was one of my last days with her and I had to make it special. Looking at myself once more, I tried to not start crying; were these happy or sad tears? I couldn't tell.

"You look wonderful, my little girl." my father said as he walked into the room.

"Ladies, we must take out seats now." my mother announced, kissing my on the cheek before leading everyone away.

        Turning to face my father, I saw tears in his eyes as well. He was smiling, taking in what I looked like. The handmaidens had done an amazing job, creating a true blushing bride. Without any words being said, he walked up to me, holding my hand.

"You're nervous. It's quite easy to tell." he chuckled.

"How can I not be? This man is going to be the husband for the rest of my life. I'm going to be a Stark."

"Yes, a powerful, beautiful Lady Stark. Now," he lifted the veil to cover my face and wrapped a cloak with our house sigil over my shoulders,"are you ready?"

           Snow was falling lightly as we stepped outside. The white substance was settling onto the ground, quiet crunching sounds coming from our footsteps. You could see our breath as it was so cold, but everything looked so beautiful. In the distance, I could see our family and friends standing in the Godswood before the Weirwood tree. They tilted their heads towards us, smiling at the sight. This made it worse. Why were so many people here?

        As father lead us down the aisle, I tried to take deep breaths, knowing that I had a speech waiting for me at the end of it. Torches lined up the walk we had, illuminating everyone's faces. Knowing me, I would somehow set myself on fire. Robb hadn't turned around though all of his family had. I kept on smiling, hoping that no one could see through it. The walk was soon over, it felt as if we had only taken two steps. Father kissed my hand before taking away my bouquet.

        Looking to my right, my neck craned up to look at Robb, who looked so handsome. He smiled at me as he lifted the veil to uncover my face, and this time, a genuine smile came to me. Looking back at the septon, we began the ceremony.

He smiled at both of us."You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection."

            Facing away from Robb he took off my initial cloak then placed his with his sigil over me.

The septon continued. "My lords, my ladies, we stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife. One flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever."

         My shaky hand met with Robb's. We held hands as the septon produced a ribbon to wrap around them. I felt a little squeeze from Robb making me relax a little. The septon started to wrap it around our hands, tieing us together both literally and metaphorically.

"Let it be known that Robb of House Stark and Bethan of House Fierre are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder." He then started to untie The ribbon."In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity. Look upon each other and say the words."

           This was it. This was our binding moment. After this we were one, we were husband and wife, together forever. Facing Robb I looked into his eyes, praying that I don't mess up the next words. Why did he have to be so distracting with his beautiful eyes and loving smile.

'Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger,

I am hers/his and she/he is mine, From this day, until the end of my days, 
I am yours and you are mine, from this day until the end of my days'

Robb finally said the last line."With this kiss, I pledge my love."

          Now it wasn't like we hadn't kissed before, but doing it in front of everyone made me feel uncomfortable. Knowing I had to do it, I got in my tip toes reaching up towards his lips. But this kiss felt different, maybe because it symbolised that we were now married. Everyone applauded as we turned around, holding hands. I giggled as I looked out at everyone who were all in high spirits. This was what life was supposed to be like, everyone united and at peace with one another, happy for at least a day.