New Faces

It was a mystery as to how long I stayed up in the library. Engrossed in my book, I hardly noticed what was going on around me. It was only the howls of the families direwolves that interrupted my reading. Deciding that I had been up there long enough (seeing as the sun was high in the sky, meaning that it was now noon) I placed the book back where it belonged before making my way back to my room. But as I returned the book to its rightful shelf, another caught my eye. It had my house name and sigil on it. Curiosity took over and I opened it up.

Briefly scanning the pages, I tried to find my name. Once I did, I saw the usual information; blonde hair, blue eyes, born of the winter and others such as this. But something caught my eye. The word 'betrothed' stood out from the rest of the page. It explained that Robb and I had been arranged to get married since we were children. My mouth upturned into a smile, thinking back to the days I was told of, the children of my family and the Starks playing together. It was sad that I could not remember such a time, maybe it would have made this marriage a little easier.

Sighing, I put the book back and exited the library. I supposed that I would have to find my mother, she would want to continue with the preparations. It was annoying but it would have to be done. Making my way down the hall, someone called out my name. Lady Stark was not far behind me, walking beside me soon enough.

"Lady Fierre, may I accompany you to the hall? I assume you are going to help with the wedding planning?"

I looked at the mother of the Starks."I would love that, thank you."

"How are you finding your stay in Winterfell?"

"Winterfell is a beautiful place. It is not that different to my home too, so I guess that I shall not need to adapt much."

"Yes, I suppose it will help with the harsh winters we get." she hummed."And my son?"

I stuttered a little."Yes, uh, Robb is lovely too."

She chuckled."Cat got your tongue?"

I smiled, looking out the windows to hide my blush.

"My apologies," she smiled,"but Robb has taken a shining to you too."

My mother was already in the hall when Catelyn and I arrived. Freya and Theresa were also there, and I guessed that since they were already married they would be helping me; Gods know I needed it. There was a giant map on the long table. As I approached, I saw that it was the seating arrangements, with Robb and I right in front of everyone.

"Where have you been? I haven't seen you since breakfast." my mother scolded.

"Sorry, I got carried away with a book."

Freya laughed."You and your books."

The doors opened again, revealing Eddard, Robb and his squire Theon. The women didn't really pay any attention to this, carrying on with their chatting. I was silent throughout, Robb seemed to notice. I caught him looking at me at one point but he too turned away. My mother interrupted my daydreaming.

"Bethan, I know what's your favourite but are you ok with roses?"

"Uh, yeah."

"You don't seem sure." Theresa said.

"I am, I do want roses." Was there anything more boring?

When the talking arose again, Freya whispered to me."Try to look interested."

I sighed."I'm trying, believe me."

"I thought you would be into all of this. You love all things girly."

"I do. Just not when I'm getting married to a complete stranger."

"The sooner these plans are made, the sooner the meetings will be over."

"How did you put up with all of this?"

"That's a mystery to us all."

"I feel as if I'm not even planning it. I could leave right now and no one would notice."

"I know someone would."

Looking up at her, I followed her gaze to Robb who was too busy talking with his mother. Hiding my smile, I nudged her in the ribs, ending up with us play fighting. Mother cleared her throat loudly, stopping our giggled immediately. The men were laughing quietly though the women did not look pleased. Freya and I just held in our laughter, pretending to listen further.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next few days continued to be the same. It was beginning to become tedious though I thought thst everyone felt the same, you could see it in their body language. Robb and I spent more time with each other, both because we thought it would be better to get to know each other before the wedding and I think we secretly wanted to spend time with one another.

One morning, I heard scratching at my door. The sun had still not risen, so it was early. Stumbling out of the warmth of my bed, I opened the door just a crack, expecting someone to be there. Instead I looked down at Robb's direwolf, wagging his tail at me.

"Greywind," I whispered, opening the door more. He bolted in and curled up on my bed. Closing the door behind me, I approached him,"why aren't you with Robb?"

He rested his head on his paws, his big eyes staring up at me. Too tired to argue with a wolf, I snuggled back into bed, my hand lazily stroking Greywind's ears before I fell asleep again.

Screaming woke me up with a start. Bolting up in bed, Greywind was stood in front of me, a protective stance while growling. My handmaiden was only here to wake me up. More footsteps could be heard running down the hallway. Ned, my father, Robb and Edward rushed in.

"What on earth is going on in here!?" Ned demanded to know as my handmaiden hid behind them.

"The beast! It was on her bed, I don't know what's would have happened if I hadn't walked in!" my handmaiden cried.

"It is just Greywind, one of the Stark's direwolves. He wanted to sleep here last night." I sleepily said, rubbing my eyes.

"Robb, control your direwolf." Ned snapped.

"Greywind, here." Robb instructed, the wolf instantly listening to his master.

"Are you alright?" my father asked me, sitting in the edge of my bed.

"Of course, it was just Greywind. Please do not take offence but I am still in my nightwear and I do not feel comfortable with you all in here."

Only Ned and Robb left, taking Greywind with them. Edward and my father stayed, telling my handmaiden to wait outside and calm down. Soghing, I sat at my dressing table, taking my hair out of the plaits. Here comes the lecture...

"Why was that beast in here!?" my father roared as I continued to play with my hair.

"He simply came to me in the middle of the night. I did not have the strength in me to return him to Robb. Besides, he would never hurt me, all of their direwolves have been good to me, as if they've known me since they were pups."

Edward tried to calm our father down."Father, she is not harmed in anyway. Bethan is a smart girl, she knows wrong from right."

Father sighed."I am sorry for letting my anger out on you, your brother is right, you have done nothing wrong. I think this wedding is beginning to get to us all."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing."You're not the one being sold to complete strangers."

"They are not strangers. I thought you liked the Stark's?"

"Just because I get along with someone doesn't mean I want to spend the rest of my life with them."

"I am not going to discuss this anymore. Get ready and be at breakfast on time."

As he and my brother walked out of the door, I let out a frustrated scream before angrily throwing a pillow at the door. No one was listening to me, no one would.