Chapter 8: Waver

Haruka

"See you 'round!" Mister Jenson says. "Enjoy your game!"

"See ya'!"

With the game in the bag, I make my way out of the store. Like most weekday afternoons, aside from the occasional cliques of high school students loitering about, there aren't many people in Atrium Mall. It's times like these that are the best to go shopping.

Shopping without Ji-Hong, that is...

I understand that Ji-Hong is in the process of trying to adapt to the syllabus, as well as the new school environment for him, but isn't it a little drastic for our teacher to be questioning him like this? I don't think he's doing that badly... at least, from the perspective of someone who's been tutoring him throughout the term. In fact, I daresay Ji-Hong is someone who learns rather quickly.

"Can't be helped..." I sigh. "I guess I'll just have some of those waffles myself."

Wanting to get a quick survey of the other levels of the mall, I make my way to the railing. With some of the natural rays of afternoon sun streaming from the domed glass ceiling above, the atmosphere of the five-storey mall certainly feels fresh.

The Rozen Cafè is at the third storey on the opposite side of the mall. With its brightly lit, glittery sign hanging by the entrance, it's impossible for me to miss it. Apparently, there's a queue lined outside of the café in spite of the time being a weekday afternoon. It's not a surprise that I'm not the only one who's interested in the inauguration of the famous café.

"So much for a quick snack," I mutter.

From the looks of it, it'll take at least twenty minutes before I'm able to find a seat. It seems that most of the people queuing are students as well. Among the group, there's a couple that stands out much more than the rest. One of them is a woman with calm, relaxed eyes and long flowing black hair. She gives off an aura of maturity and grace that's probably enough to invoke jealousy from the average girl and adulation from the average boy. Well, I guess nobody can complain about her date, since he's a hulking giant with both muscles and composure, a combination that's not commonly―

Wait a minute.

That's a peculiar jacket the tall guy is wearing. Actually, I'd recognise that black and white jacket coupled with that stature from anywhere.

The woman makes a comment, and the man glances away from her with a slightly bashful expression, towards my direction.

"Ji-Hong!"

And the woman he's with is obviously Audrey. Audrey Nulleine. The reason why I took this much time to discern the woman's identity is probably because of the sweater she's wearing. This is the first time I've seen Audrey dressing so casually when she's outside with someone else.

A sports sweater? Audrey? Is this real life? And of all people, why Ji-Hong? Nothing makes sense!

I can feel my body being hollowed out by the scene before me, and the strength in my limbs begin to ebb away. It's as if someone just wrung my body out over a sink, squeezed out every iota of emotion and life before tossing me into a basket like used laundry.

Ji-Hong told me he was called to the faculty office by one of our teachers, but here he is with one of the most popular girls of our school― scratch that, one of the most popular girls in the prefecture by his side.

But why did he lie to me? Am I too boring to hang out with? Is it because I'm too talkative, and he thinks I'm annoying? Or maybe it's because he hates the new special cologne that I put on today wait, how is that even relevant to this! Ji-Hong isn't the kind of person to care about such things.

But if none of those are the answers to it, then why?

Before a remotely sensible answer comes to mind, both of them are already making their way into the café. Again, the sinking feeling in my guts flushes all of my strength into an imaginary void. I can only stare at the scene, completely shell-shocked as if the spirit has left my body, along with my faith in Ji-Hong as a friend.

Part of me― a very big part of me― feels betrayed that Ji-Hong would deceive me like that in order to go on what appears to be a date with Audrey. Another part of me acknowledges that if he wants to go out with Audrey, it isn't my business to begin with. He can do whatever he wants. As a friend, shouldn't I be supporting him instead, rather than to ridicule him for it?

Still, being lied to, especially by a friend who you thought you could trust wholeheartedly, isn't something that a normal person would shrug off without a bad pinch in his heart, right? Try as I may, I just can't stop myself from being agitated by Ji-Hong's actions.

"Ahhh!" I clutch my hair, letting the self-acrimony out with my voice. "What's wrong with me? I can't take it!"

Through my anguished howls, I catch hushed voices rustling from behind me. I turn to see an elderly couple urgently whispering to one another, pointing and giving me grave looks of concern.

"Eh?"

I take a moment to analyse the situation at hand, and immediately realise how awkward I must look to them right now. I'm a distressed-looking young adult groaning and cursing at myself while standing next to the railing of the fourth storey. Don't tell me they think I'm―

"Excuse me, young sir..." the bespectacled elderly man says while cautiously reaching out to me.

"No! No! You've got it all wrong!" I frantically shake my hands at him. "This isn't it what it looks. I'm not... well, y'know, that!"

Unconvinced by my panicked speech, the wrinkly couple continue to fuss themselves over me. Waffles are now obviously out of the question. I just want to get home without the mall's security giving me trouble for this unfortunate turn of events.