Chapter 7: Audrey

Haruka

The weeks breeze through as quickly as the winds of the crisp Autumn season. Just like that, we've hurdled through the first wave of tests, as well as the first month of the semester.

"So, big guy," Hansel says, shifting around in his seat. "How were the tests? A-okay?"

"I'm confident..." Ji-Hong nods.

"Nice. For a second there―"

"... That I'll get a C-minus."

Hansel's words die along with his faith in Ji-Hong. Jamie and I let out chuckles of amusement at the big guy's unexpected sense of humour. Only he can pull of something like that with such a deadpan expression, which only makes it all the more hilarious whenever he cracks a joke.

"Screw you!" Hansel bellows. The hothead then lets out a sigh, slumping his shoulders. "Well, could be worse, I guess. Though I'm pretty sure you're aren't gonna stay that way forever, right?"

"Yeah," I say, elbowing Ji-Hong in the arm. "I'm the one who's been studying with you every day after school. You're going to put me to shame if you're seriously fine with a C-minus."

Ji-Hong flashes a smile. It's only been slightly over a month, but already he's getting better at showing his emotions. The Ji-Hong I knew when we first met is so much more different than the Ji-Hong today.

The Westminster Chime of the school's bell sounds, signifying the official end of day curriculum.

"All right class, enjoy your weekends!" Miss Dionne chirps, before turning to Ji-Min's clique with an expression of mock displeasure. "And try to drink responsibly on a Sunday this time, 'kay?"

"Yes, Miss Dionne!" the rowdy crew answers simultaneously, giggling among themselves shortly after.

For a bunch of troublemakers, Ji-Min's clique manages their workload and studies really well. An outsider would never have guessed that those party animals are probably some of the best scorers of our class.

Hansel nudges Jamie in the arm, pointing at the clique. "Psst... not gonna lie, but I think Ji-Min's actually kinda cute."

Hearing that, Jamie proceeds to let a roar of laughter that could've shattered my eardrums. Many of our classmates turn to our direction, piercing us with judgemental glares.

"Shut up!" I hiss, annoyed with his lack of self-control.

"Sorry, sorry," Jamie manages, pressing both arms against his stomach as he struggles to suppress his laughter. "Dude, Hans, I think the stress is getting to you. Of all people, you're into Ji-Min?"

"Ah, shut the hell up," Hansel grumbles, his cheeks burning almost as red as his hair.

"Why don't you talk to her then?" I ask.

The basketball Captain simply turns away with a dismissive wave. "I'll uh... whatever. I'll get to that next time, maybe. I don't know. I don't care." Hansel then gets up from his seat. "I was just saying. Stop speculating."

For a person with such a bold, feisty appearance, Hansel can sure be surprisingly timid when it comes revealing his softer emotions. To most of us though, that's part of his charm. He just looks so adorable whenever he flusters like this. As always, I can't help but giggle at that.

"It's Friday," Jamie says, getting up as well. "So, Hans, practice?"

"Yeah. I think we've gotta start doubling our routines though."