Chapter 2: Secrets

Haruka

Frigid autumn winds sweep across the streets, whipping my features, howling to compete with the incessant ringing of construction tools in the distance. Without tall, solid buildings to fill the space, winds can roam freely about, so it's a little chillier here as compared to most other parts of the city. It's a good thing I brought my winter dress coat with me. Beneath that is just a cotton shirt and a skirt, which probably isn't enough on their own.

Most parts of Zon District are still under heavy construction, making it one of the least populated areas of New Pierce City. There are few functioning facilities operating in the area. Thus, whenever I needed some privacy for a costume or prop trade, I would always choose this part of the city as a meet-up point.

"Hmm... the winds are so annoying," I mutter while flipping loose strands of the brunette wig out of my face. "Going to have to re-style this thing when I get home."

As a boy who cosplays only as female characters (a controversial art better known as cross-dressing), it's important that people who know me in real life are unaware of this secret hobby of mine. Call me paranoid, but I really think I'll be severely judged by my schoolmates should they ever find out that my alternate persona is 'Suzumi', a relatively popular female cosplayer who's garnered at least twelve million unique followers from various cosplaying and social networking sites. If they do find out about this, will they mistake me as a homosexual? Or a perverted sicko? Whatever it is, I can't risk tarnishing my public image needlessly.

"Er-hem..." I clear my throat, adjusting my pitch.

People have always said that I possess a rather feminine voice. As quoted from Hansel, 'a twenty-year-old boy who slipped through puberty'. To be honest, I see it as a gift rather than a curse. A gift, because I truly enjoy cross-dressing, and this helps to cement the image of me as a legitimate girl in front of others when I need to.

"Can't wait to get my outfit of Mayumi Sugihara! That outfit of her Corruption form... mmf! So good!" I swoon as excitement twists my stomach in knots. The thought of how my fan base is going to react to me in such a bold yet Gothically elegant outfit is too much for my heart to take.

Eventually, I arrive at a four-way intersection. A single car rumbles its way past of me, but other than that, the streets are devoid of traffic. Aside from the occasional passers-by strolling down the pavements, the district is as uneventful as a desert. Admittedly, this would be a great place for a photo shoot. I can see myself posing with the barren, half-constructed cityscape as my backdrop.

"Let's see..." I whip out my phone, bringing up the GPS application. "I should be heading towards..."

Elms avenue, which is just a street away. Enraptured by the thought of being so close to obtaining my much-coveted dress, I merrily skip towards my destination for the rest of the journey.

Upon arriving at a small neighbourhood of semi-constructed terraces, I notice that the area is now completely devoid of human life. I'd have assumed that there would've been construction workers stationed in this area to work on these terraces. I don't like the looks of this, but my meet-up point is just around the corner, so I have to advance through this area.

My winter boots clack against the concrete as I make my way forward. The desolation of the neighbourhood is a little unsettling. Ji-Hong was right about one thing. Zon District isn't the safest place around, so his worries are justified.

I twist the strap of my hand bag, desperately trying to seek comfort from the firm, leathery material tightening within my hands. Even the once-annoying sounds of construction tools from the distance is now a reassuring voice, encouraging me to continue through this ghost town.