Chapter 10

Nursery painted and all the decorations and furniture have been moved into the light-colored room, Dean and Cas played the waiting game. Since the baby was half-human it would take a little longer than the usual angel of seven months as they found from research and some clues found in Gabe’s journal.

Cas never went anywhere without his brother’s journal, keeping it close to him like his life depended on keeping it safe. Whether is was tucked away in his trenchcoat or stuffed under his arm for safety, he always had it on him. When Dean finally asked him why he kept it with him instead of storing it away, Cas replied with a rather strong argument that made the hunter feel sorry for the angel as he was close to shedding tears.

“It reminds me of him, he...he left some of his grace in the bindings of the book. I can feel him, Dean. He was my brother, I miss him.” Cas clutched the book to his chest and for once Dean understood his angel. He knew what it was like to lose his brother, all too well in fact. The Winchesters had a reputation of never being killed. Permanently at least.

“Cas?” Dean asked, bending his head to meet the angel’s eyes as Cas wiped the tears away with his fist. He looked to the hunter, seeing the brightest smile on his face that he’s seen in a very long time. Dean held his arms out as Castiel gladly filled them and buried his face in his neck while Dean rubbed his back.

Not only did the hunter notice the large bump that separated them, but he also noticed that Cas was practically skin and bones. Though he was proud and excited but most of all nervous about this baby’s arrival, he was still worried for Cas’ health because of this baby. With every day passing, the angel became skinnier and skinnier, barely able to get anything down to eat and keeping it down. Dean worried that he will run out of time with his angel before he gets to know their child. For the time being, Dean held his angel close and tried his best to memorize the way he fit perfectly in his arms and how warm he always seemed to feel against his skin. He will always remember his angel, he just hoped it wasn’t too late.

“Not trying to sound mean here Cas, but, hormones? I think they’re getting the best of you right now.” Dean swallowed hard, scared for his life. Though pregnant, Cas was still an angel, an original soldier for God himself. He could still do some things to Dean, despite his condition, that wouldn’t stop him from turning the hunter to ash.

Thankfully, the angel chuckled and nodded as that brought a sigh of relief to the hunter. “Yes, I believe I am experiencing some kind of hormonal distress.” Cas confessed.

Dean smiled, holding his angel a little longer before rubbing his arm and looking into his eyes to see them red and puffy but happy and relieved. Dean loved seeing his angel like this and probably will never get over it. Heavily pregnant with his child and extremely emotional. He found it...arousing.

“Now, enough of this crying business. How about some food, hmm? I know I’m ready for some grub.” Dean cleared his throat and sighed in relief when he took the angel by the hand and led him to the kitchen. “What would you like to eat?”

“Dean?”

The hunter turned to the angel and saw a dreamy and loving smile upon his lips as he stepped closer to Dean and planted a soft, pleasurable kiss on the hunter’s. It was slow and tedious but Dean wouldn’t have it any other way. He loved this level of intimacy with the angel, it was a different kind of love that they shared now. It was a love of knowing that they were going to be a real family, they were going to be parents to the little being that was growing inside of Cas. Dean felt the fuzzy and loving feeling that spread through his chest and whole body so much that it hurt.

“What do you want my handsome angel?” Dean asked in a drowsy voice that was thick with the accent of genuine love.

“I just…” At this point, Cas was scared to tell Dean what he really wanted. He was scared to tell him about what was happening with his body besides the constant cramps of his body trying to adjust to the growth of the baby he was also beginning to experience braxton hicks contractions, much like what humans have as angels never get them. Cas was scared to tell the hunter because, if the angel knew him as well as he did, he would start to get overprotective and over-prepare for the inevitable.