Chapter 77: Don't Give Up Till It's Over

"If Pikachu can get this one, Ash is in really good shape," Clemont muttered, not exactly sounding very confident. Serena could tell that everyone watching was pretty tense and nervous, now that the final stretch of the battle was on.

"Yeah," Brock agreed, his voice slightly more upbeat, "both Pikachu and Greninja will have the advantage over Charizard."

Serena didn't say anything, but she knew they were just saying that. Obviously Greninja with his powers had a decent enough chance, but she was worried about Pikachu. If the electric mouse fell to Bisharp, even with Greninja likely being capable of an easy win over the steel type, going up against Charizard with even one hit already landed on him would be tough. There was no room for error.

She brought her attention back to the field and noticed Pikachu staying low to the ground. He was preparing to move as soon as the battle resumed. Bisharp was no different. Both Pokemon knew how crucial this part of the battle was. Neither wanted to leave their trainer with one remaining Pokemon. Finally, the referee raised a flag and then moved it down, signalling the battle to resume.

"Quick Attack!" Ash yelled instantly.

"Pika!" Pikachu shouted, kicking off hard and shooting towards Bisharp. As was often the case, Ash was making good use of Pikachu's speed. The electric mouse was on Bisharp too quickly for the sword blade Pokemon or its trainer to react. His body struck Bisharp in the head, causing it to stumble backwards.

Just like with Tyranitar, Ash was ready with the followup order. "Iron Tail!" Pikachu responded immediately, twisting his body around and stretching out his tail. He swung it upwards and struck Bisharp hard in the jaw, making a metallic clanging sound. The steel type was lifted off its feet and it spun through the air, before crashing to the ground.

However, just as it had been fast in recovering from Goodra's Bide earlier, Bisharp quickly hopped to its feet. "Metal Sound quick!" Alain ordered. Then, just as it landed, Bisharp clapped its blade-like arms together and the loud metallic ringing sound split through the air. Serena saw Pikachu grab his ears and take a few steps back. He looked more angry than anything, obviously knowing his defence power had been lowered.

"It doesn't matter Pikachu," Ash called out. "We'll win no matter what." Pikachu nodded, not bothering to look back and lowered himself to the ground again in preparation to attack. "Thunderbolt, let's go!"

Serena was shocked, somehow, at how fast Pikachu moved. He darted around Bisharp so quickly, it was nearly impossible for anyone to catch sight of him. Then, the yell of the electric mouse was heard. "Piii-kaaa-chuuu!" He leaped up into the air in that moment, going just over the stunned Bisharp's head. The electricity shot down and Bisharp jerked its body painfully and fell to its knees.

"Iron Tail again!" Ash ordered, punching the air in triumph. Serena could see how confident he was, his eyes lit up as he focused on his battling partner.

"Kachu!" Pikachu shouted, flipping over and slamming his tail once again into Bisharp, striking the steel type hard in the back. It went hard to the ground, face hitting the grass.

"And one more!" Ash yelled. Serena thought he was overdoing it a moment, but then saw Bisharp somehow starting to stand.

This was where Alain made his move, though. "Fury Cutter!" Then, just as Pikachu landed on the ground behind Bisharp and jumped of for another Iron Tail, the steel type twisted around, slashing out with one of its blade-like arms. The attack quickly made contact with Pikachu's swinging tail and they hit together with a loud, ringing clanging sound. Bisharp wasn't done, though. It immediately pulled back, causing Pikachu to fall forward, having expected a struggle. Then, Bisharp swung forward again with its blade and struck Pikachu as he fell. The electric mouse went flying into the air and the steel type leaped up after him. With one more swing, Pikachu was sent crashing to the ground, skidding along painfully.