Chapter 28: A Dream Offer

Ash wiped the condensation away from the window of the van and looked out to see Snowbelle City. Serena's mom had offered to drive the group there, since she was doing some business in Snowbelle City anyways, for her Rhyhorn racing school. Ash didn't know why a cold place like Snowbelle City would be interested in that, but it didn't stop him from gratefully accepting the offer. The sooner he could get to his gym battle, the sooner he could distract himself from what had happened with Greninja.

The first thing Ash noticed about Snowbelle City, was...well...the snow. It was everywhere, all over the trees and all over the houses. He didn't understand how these people could live in conditions like this, but he supposed they probably understood it better than him.

Ash felt a hand take hold of his and he turned to see Serena looking at him, concern in her eyes. "You're gonna be great. Just like you always are." She said.

"Thanks." Ash answered. He narrowed his eyes, remembering something. "Hey, aren't you meeting that woman, Palermo, here?" He asked.

Serena looked away and out her own window. "Yeah...I called her last night and told her I'd meet her before your gym battle." Ash could hear the nervousness in his girlfriend's voice. She took a deep breath and then turned back to him. "It can't be anything bad. It's weird that she wants to meet me, but I don't think I've done anything wrong." It sounded more like Serena was trying to convince herself it was going to be ok.

Ash gave her a reassuring smile. "Of course it's something good. She was impressed with you at the showcase. I don't care if she said you lacked independence or whatever it was. I could tell she thought you were awesome. Maybe she just knows a way that you can get better."

Serena nodded. "Yeah...maybe. I guess we'll find out soon."

They stayed silent the rest of the way and then Grace dropped them off at the Pokemon Centre. She told them she'd meet them at the gym before Ash's battle. Everyone had been pretty surprised when she had shown an interest in seeing the battle, but Ash was happy with it. He liked having a big crowd to cheer him on.

As soon as they got to the Pokemon Centre, they gave their Pokemon to Nurse Joy for a quick check up. Bonnie and Mairin ran outside immediately to play in the snow, while Clemont waited at a chair nearby, working on one of his inventions. Ash went straight to the phone.

"Who are you calling?" Serena asked, following him.

"Professor Oak. I've gotta get Talonflame." Ash said, sitting down and leaving room on the seat for Serena, who sat down as well.

"I thought you had to transfer a Pokemon to do that." She said, looking confused. Ash looked down sadly. Serena clearly knew she'd made a mistake and Ash heard the regret in her voice when she spoke next. "Oh...I'm sorry. That was dumb."

"Don't worry about it." Ash said quickly. He felt guilty about the hint of anger in his voice, but he decided not to dwell on it and called Professor Oak.

The phone rang a couple of times and then Oak answered, appearing on screen. Ash was happy to see Talonflame already by Oak's side and also a couple of his other Pokemon. Staraptor, Swellow and Unfezant were also there. "Hello you two." Oak greeted happily. "As you can see, Talonflame is already set to go." He looked at the other bird Pokemon. "And these three all wanted to say goodbye to him. They've enjoyed their flying races."

Ash smiled. "That's great." He looked at his flying Pokemon. "How are all of you doing? Training hard?" They all shouted out happily. Each of them looked ecstatic to see their trainer again. Ash then glanced at Serena. "Oh and this is Serena. She's my...girlfriend." Even though it had been a few weeks, it was still awkward to introduce her like that. He then pointed to each of his Pokemon and introduced Serena to each of them. "That's Unfezant, she's from Unova. That's Staraptor, from Sinnoh. And that's Swellow, from Hoenn."