Chapter 62: X vs Y

Serena couldn't really put it into words how happy she was for Ash and Noivern. It was such a special moment. She kind of knew it from her first round win at the Masterclass. It was proving that you belonged with the best. It was proving that you and your Pokemon hadn't worked hard for nothing. And it was proving that a dream that seemed so far away at the beginning of your journey, wasn't an impossibility.

"I guess we should go," Ash said, after he was tackled in hugs by the rest of the group. Serena didn't know what he was talking about and couldn't understand why he didn't want to just celebrate his victory a little more. When he realized that nobody got what he was saying, he explained it. "Alain and Trevor should be battling now. Don't you guys wanna go see that?"

There was a quick murmur of agreement and the group quickly set off out of the arena. It was quite easy to find their way, and somehow Ash was already an expert on where the arenas seemed to be. Within a couple of minutes, they were running down the hallway towards the arena where Alain and Trevor were battling, and they couldn't hear too much, which likely meant it wasn't too exciting of a match.

When they emerged in the stands of the arena, Serena looked towards the battlefield, which she noticed was a rock field. Alain had a Pokemon that looked kind of like his Metang, but it had four metallic legs instead of two. Ash answered her mental question fairly quickly. "Alain's Metang evolved into Metagross!" he said excitedly. Serena then looked at Trevor's Pokemon and saw a badly beaten up Florges. When she looked up at the screen showing each trainer's remaining Pokemon, she saw that this was Trevor's fifth and Metagross was still Alain's first.

There was a wave down below, near the middle of the front of the stands, and Serena noticed Mairin, Shauna and Tierno were all waving to them, apparently having noticed they were there. This time, Serena lead the way. "Come on, let's go sit with them."

Unfortunately for Trevor, by the time the group reached their other friends, Florges was getting struck by a very powerful looking meteor mash. When they finally sat down, there was plenty of room due to there being less fans from the lack of excitement in the battle. When they were seated, the referee was calling the play and Trevor was returning Florges to its pokeball.

Shauna and Tierno looked pretty miserable, but Mairin was ecstatic. "Alain's Metang evolved!" she shouted out happily. "Trevor actually looked like he might have been able to win with his third Pokemon, but then when Metang evolved, Metagross was able to easily win."

"Trevor's still got his best weapon," Tierno said, sounding a little irritated by Mairin's excitement. "Let's not count him out yet."

"Yeah!" Shauna agreed, raising two clenched fists into the air. "Go Trevor! You can do this!"

Serena felt the urge to cheer for Trevor as well, but since Alain was also their friend, she decided to stay quiet. Hopefully Trevor's next Pokemon would at least put some excitement into the match. It was great to see Ash dominate a match, but in other battles it was kind of sad.

Trevor's voice suddenly carried out, as he tossed out his sixth and final Pokemon. "Charizard, let's go!" There was a flash of light and then the powerful looking fire breathing lizard emerged. It definitely looked strong. Not as strong as Ash's, but Serena got the feeling it wasn't going to be easy for Metagross to handle this one.

"No way!" Ash suddenly yelled, getting everyone to look at him. He pointed to Charizard. Serena didn't see for a moment, but then she noticed something shining. "A mega stone," Ash whispered, sounding impressed. "How did Trevor get that?"

Tierno and Shauna looked just as surprised. Tierno, in fact, sounded a little angry when he spoke next. "How could he not tell me? We're best friends."