Chapter Twenty-Two

6/23/15

6/23/15

"HEY KY!" I call out cheerfully to Kylie as I spot her sitting in the corner booth of the local sandwich shop.

I hold my tray in my hands and make my way over before sliding into the booth seat across from her.

"Hey!" she responds with a large smile. "So glad we are getting lunch. I feel like it's been forever since I've seen you!"

"I know," I agree as my nose scrunches in a tinge of sadness. "It's been too long, and I'm sorry life's been crazy," I tell her as I open up my wrapped sandwich.

"Ugh, same," Kylie responds. "So how has everything been?" she asks before taking a bite of her pita.

I lift a single shoulder nonchalantly. "Fine," I mumble around a bite of my chicken, mozzarella, and tomato sandwich.

"Gray," she nags knowing I'm hiding something.

"What?" I ask innocently. "Everything really is fine," I say trying not to divulge too much into the craziness that has been my life lately.

"What about Cale?" she asks.

"What about him?" I counter.

"Grayson..." she trails knowing something is going on.

I let out a loud frustrated sigh, and place my sandwich back on my tray. I wet my lips before finally speaking. "I um..." I barely get out before dropping my eyes to my lap in shame. I clear my throat, "Something did happen and I don't want you to judge me or—"

Kylie cuts me off with a raised hand to stop my words. "You know I never would Gray," she says. "We all screw up in life," she affirms. "Believe me I know."

I nod knowing she is right, but that I also messed up in a way that I can never take back. "Yeah, well I totally screwed up," I tell her as grief fills my chest at the pain I have of hurting my sister the way I did.

"What happened?" she questions. Her eyes hold mine, and I know I can tell her anything. But that doesn't make it any easier to say the worlds aloud.

"We kissed..." I say awkwardly trying to keep Kylie's gaze, but dropping them to my sandwich as shame fills heart and coats my cheeks red.

"Who kissed?" she pushes not getting what I'm saying.

I give her a pointed look knowing I won't be able to say those awful words again.

"Shut the fuck up!" she exclaims as a hand flies to her mouth in utter shock.

"Kylie!" I scold under my breath at her choice of words. I can feel some eyes on us in the small restaurant as silence rings around us at her outburst, but I try to ignore the stares.

"I'm sorry I just...wow," she breathes her eyes wide in pure disbelief.

"I know I really messed up," I say as my face pulls in disgust at myself.