Chapter Six

5/15/15

5/15/15

"I THINK HE still secretly loves you," Hayley's voice says from the other end of my cell phone.

I roll my eyes. "Yes, and he wants me to bear his children and he's going to propose...no, no, wait," I pause dramatically, "that's my sister you dimwit."

"Alright bitch, glad to know your great personality is only growing with distance from me." I can practically feel the daggers she's glaring at me with.

I sigh as I sit on my bed and straighten out the skirt of my dress. "Sorry Hayley. But Cale never loved me and never will." I bite the inside of my cheek. "It's just the physical attraction, nothing else." The truth is I know I still have some unresolved feelings for him. But Cale...I don't know what he feels and doesn't feel for me.

Hayley clucks her tongue, which I hate. "I'm sorry babe. But if a man is so in love like you say him and Bailey are he shouldn't be acting like a man starved around you. If he really loves Bailey that attraction shouldn't matter anymore." Does that mean he feels something for me? Ugh, Hayley just gave me hope, and I don't need that!

Hope brings heartache and break, and I am supposed to be finding myself and breaking free from Cale. Not falling more into the pit that is Cale Hasting.

So I change the subject. "How is Maxine doing?" Not that I really want to hear about the redhead who's stealing my life, but it's a whole hell of a lot better than talking about Cale.

"She's great. Still a little shy but I'm doing my best to get her out of her shell. But it's a little difficult because she works at night so we can't go out a lot. But other than that she's been super sweet, and if your bitter ass would give her a chance you would love her," she says. Awesome now I am being scolded by Hayley about some tiny irrelevant ginger.

I hear my parents and know we have to leave soon. Not that I want to. I honestly would rather hang out with Maxine then go to this dinner tonight. But sadly I don't have that option. "Hayley, I love you...sometimes. But it may take hell freezing over before I enjoy the company of the leprechaun."

Hayley barks out a laugh I know she tried to cover. "Grayson, I sometimes can't with you! And with the way you're going hell may be freezing over a lot sooner than you think." I smile at her words, because I miss her, even when we are bickering. She really is my other, and slightly better half.

We say our goodbyes no matter how hard they may be. My heart squeezes a little as I slide my finger against the screen and hang up on my best friend. The last few days have been filled with wedding this and wedding that, and trying to avoid Cale. Which overall has been mostly successful. Since the talk in the car neither of us has made an effort to talk let alone look at one another. I can tell my sister is starting to notice the awkwardness between us, which only makes her push more for us to hang out together.

I run a hand through my hair and stand to give myself another once over in the mirror. Its not like it really matters what Cale's family thinks of me, but I always imagined meeting them. Not that anyone knows that. I hate that I even care, but I do. I will never say this aloud, but I want them to like me.