Prologue

Prologue:

(The morning dawn had passed and now the sun was high in the sky over these dangerous waters. Looking closely at the sky, a small figure was plummeting its way to the ground. A closer look you can see that it looks to be human shape. This shape you see...is a young dragon rider)

"How did I end up like this? It was supposed to be a normal flight. Like what Toothless and I do everyday. Now here I am hurtling ninety miles an hour towards the water. Oh Fire Lizards, this is going to really hurt.

(Time, literally, seemed to be standing still, for the man)

"Okay, first off. You all are probable wandering who the heck is this random person who is hurtling to his death. Let me introduce myself, my name is Hiccup. I know I know, but it wasn't really my choice. My mom says that in our old clan, people would say 'that a hideous name will ward off gnomes and trolls.' And along the lines that it's what they call the runts of the litter.

I know what you're thinking. How can a 6 whatever inch guy be a runt. Well let me tell you that I wasn't always this way.

Let me start at the beginning, my mother, Valka, was a head strong, fierce and courageous young Viking of an island called Berk. She told me, my father couldn't help but fall in love with her, but there was one problem. Dragons. Like any Viking, my parents would hunt and kill, like normal Vikings would do, to who ever dare threatened their home. They never questioned why though, just did it.

It wasn't until one day my mother shot down a large beast that was roaming the skies at night.

My mother, at first, was thinking of waking the village to go hunt it down. But something inside of her told her to go get the beast herself. Without a second thought, she went after it.

She was strolling through the woods trying to find the beast but had no luck. She wondered how she could have lost such a large dragon. It wasn't until she stumbled onto some broken branches and destroyed trees that she found it. There is was, wrapped up in a tightly netted rope laid a gigantic orange owl face like creature. Its double wings were wrapped tightly around its body. It smashed in face looked at her like it was reading her like an open book. Waiting, like it knew that what she was her to do. It closed its eyes and leaned it head into the dirt like it was giving her the opportunity to strike.

Like so many lesson, like so many things that have been pounded into her over the years, somehow drifted off. This feeling, this dragon.....she couldn't do it. She quickly cut the rope hoping the dragon would fly away. Once the last rope that held the dragon down was cut, the rope slipped off and all the dragon did was stare. Stare straight at my mother, confused at her antics. She tried desperately to get it to fly, go, to do anything really. The dragon continued to stare at her, which let her have no choice but to let out as frustrated sigh as she went back to the village.

She remembers how she heard loud footsteps behind and turned to see the dragon follow her. She would yell at it, telling it to stay, but it every time she moved it followed her.

I can still laugh from the image that plagued my head when she told me this.

She said it was very frustrating how, the male dragon she named Cloudjumper, would follow her around like a lost puppy. It took a couple of winter to teach him to stay and to trust her. They became very close, he even gave her the gift of flight. She said it was the most wonderful feeling, being on Cloudjumper's back and watch the cloud roam around you, the wind in your face, the smell of sea water and earth through your nose. But with all that it still was not a good idea to bring the dragon into the village. Even with their close bond, the village would surely kill Cloudjumper.