Alive

"Hello milady," Hiccup bowed deeply to Astrid who was approaching the hut near the edge of the cliffs. After a long day, all of their old friends agreed to a night of fun, after a considerable amount of persistence pushed towards Hiccup.

"Very well sir Hiccup." She mocked making the same ridiculous bow. She laughed and poked him in the shoulder. He caught her hand, scolding her as she chuckled.

That's when they could hear the arguing, all the way from the ground,making them turn to see the green zippleback coming steadily to the island. Once landed the twins dismounted, by Ruffnut lunging at Tuffs throat taking both of them down. 

"I guess some things never change." Astrid commented, hands on her hips.

"Ruff, tuff, glad you could make it!" He interupted their dispute. They both stopped in their tracks heads clanked together.

"Hiccup! Astrid!" They both exclaimed at the same time.

"Hello my dear Astrid, Hiccup. I hope life on berk has served you well." Tuff politely stood before them dusting off his brown tunic and vest. 

"You only left for the edge two weeks ago." Astrid crossed her arms.

"Yeah dummy." Ruff said in her growly voice. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. Her hair was intricately braided down her back, long strings of red and gold beads intwined into her blonde hair. She had abandoned her helmet, wearing simple knife around her waist.

"Still. It feels like an eternity." He waved one hand over the sky, the other plastered to Hiccups shoulder. "Snotlout! My brother." He completely forgot about the other two and went to welcome the other guest in a hug. He declined folding his arms.

"No I'm good I don't want to get lokied." 

"Would I do that?" Tuff said looking innocent.

"Yes, yes you would."

"Fair point, my Viking friend."

"Where's Fishlegs? It's sundown." Ruff complained.

"Right heeeree!" A nasaly voice echoed around them. They all looked around but couldn't find the source. "Gronkle coming in hot!" He screamed. BOOM! Once the cloud of dust settled, they noticed fish legs whose hair was charred and clothes singed, and a crazy smile on his face. Meatlug stood up and shook her tough body. Noticing the zipplback, she hunkered over to them, they began playfully interacting chasing each other around.

"You weren't kidding Fish." Hiccup commented shaking his head. "You're on fire." 

"Thanks." He smiled sheepishly.

"No you're really on fire." Ruff pointed to his fur pelt that was smoldering. Fish legs shrieked and beat at it till gone, then relaxed taking a big breath. 

"Ruff, Tuff, how is training on the edge? I hear some of the dragons-" He said placing his large hands on their shoulders.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, small talk later. Let's go have some fun!" Snotlout interrupted, throwing an arm over Fishlegs, rubbing his knuckle into his head. Cheers and whoops rose from the group excluding Hiccup. Arms around each other, the Vikings made there way to the town tavern. Hiccup couldn't help but smile to see all of them together like this again.

A brawl had already broken out in the bar when they arrived. And the night would promise many more in that town. The six stood in the doorway taking in the strife before them. Beards were being pulled, vikings being sat on and punches being thrown. The waiters and waitresses, ignored this, clearly used to these kinds of things.  

"Yeah! This is my kind of fun!" Ruff yelled pumping her fist in the air. With a battle cry she jumped right into the fight. 

"Hey!" Tuff yelled. "No one fights my sister but me." He looked apologetically to hiccup. "I'll be right back. Ahhhhhhhhh!" He ran full throttle into the crowd. 

"Eh, why not." Snotloud reasoned. 

"Looks like fun." Astrid unsheathed her battle axe. " a good exercise." She ran manically into the brawl, axe raised yelling at the top of her lungs.

"Don't worry, Ill get a table!" Hiccup called after them, then waved a hand. "Ah whatever. Come on Fishlegs." 

They picked a wooden table in the corner  where they were least likely to get involved in any trouble. Or as little as possible with that group. Lively music played, as drinks were served in the ill smelling room, yet Hiccup enjoyed watching his friends be so rowdy, besides he was able geek out with the dragon nerd across from him. He ordered 6 drinks and a roasted chicken from an annoyed looking waiter with a long beard and fake hand.

"Those your friends?" He seethed towards Hiccup, pointing to the brawl.

"Haha, no, why, why would you think that?" The waiter didn't reply. He only glared at the two and walked away.

When the group finally sat down at the table, snotlout was rubbing his jaw, Tuffnut had the beguinnings of a black eye, Ruff was nursing a bloody nose, and Astrid was wrapping her fist into white gauze. 

"So who won?" He asked curiously.

" we did, obviously." Ruff said, her held back, pinching her nose.

"We lost." Snotlout stated the obvious. "But we would've if Tuffnut, and Ruffnut here, hadn't punched ME in the face." 

" We got confused." 

"Twidiots." He mumbled under his breath.

Everyone broke out into laughter as the evening began to pass by. Stories were shared, as well as good and bad memories, mostly things snotlout had done to cause the trouble.

Hiccup stood and held out his hand to Astrid "Care for a dance?"

" Okay, but only one." She held up a finger, as he pulled her onto the stone dance floor.

The pipes and flutes got louder and faster as Hiccup and Astrid twirled around each other. Linking arms, they started skipping around the room accidentally bumping to several people, giggling at their annoyance.

She threw her head back, her long hair whipping someone in the face. Laughter escaped from his mouth, as he watched her get more and more into it. She really was a terrible dancer, but there was something so warm and inviting when she did it. Eventually the music died, leaving many people clapping and shouting for more.  

A slow and ominous melody wound around the room as dancers slowed their pace. He gave astrid a smile and held up his arm. She matched her forearm against his creating an X. They made a circle and stopped, changing directions. Grasping her hand in his, he knelt on the ground as she looped around, never letting go. Two steps forwards and one back. Clap. Circle around, two steps forward one back. Clap.  Forward. Back. Forward. Back. The song ended by lifting her up by the waist and setting her back down.  

He stood still, not having let go of her yet. Everything around him blended together, the sounds, the low light, all seemed to haze over like a mist as if none of had never existed. She held to his forearms returning his gaze with the same kind of blind fascination.  

Lifting the hand that was wrapped in gauze, gently he kissed it rubbing a thumb over the surface. He leaned his head closer until their noses brushed. Their eyes made contact before their lips met. This sent his head spinning and electricity rushing down his spine. His senses flooded, the feeling was best described, as, Alive.

Yes, that was an accurate word. Alive.