Chapter 23: A New Assignment

A week came and went. I focused all of my attention on my Squad and not on a certain captain of Squad Ten, or that he hadn't said a word to me in the past week. Rangiku bumped into me once when I was walking around the Seireitei while I was working on my recovery with a few of my squad members. She shot me an apologetic look and carried on her way. I did my best not to let it affect me. After all he was right, I was a captain first and foremost.

Who was I fooling?

My Division welcomed me back with open arms, readily accepting my apology for decieving them as I reintroduced myself as Captain Urahara. They worked hard on training exercises; practicing combat maneuvers and defence techniques I had set up for them. I wanted them as ready as ever when the head captain assigned us to the world of the living under Kisukes guidance. 

Today was the first day I was able to ditch the cane that mother Murray insisted I keep glued to me at all times and I was getting my first real walk in without him hovering around waiting for me to spontaneously combust.

At my side was my second lieutenant Momo Hinamori. The day after my return to the Seireitei she insisted on volunteering her help with any and all things administrative.

Reports? Done.

Book Filling? Meticulous.

Tea? Always Fresh.

I really wasn't complaining.

 After the yoyo ride I had taken, I was finding my groove again and it wasn't all that bad to be honest. Liar. I shook the thought out of my head, I wasn't going to start thinking about that now.

"What's the matter Captain Urahara?" Momo cocked her head in my direction. "Injury bugging you?"

"It's nothing, just trying to get out of my own head that's all." I sighed.

"Rangiku told me about it, still thinking about him huh?"

"Really not the time or place for that lieutenant," I bit back, instantly feeling horrible for snapping. She really was a wonderful soul reaper to work with.

"I'm sorry Captain, but if I can add my two cents in; Toshiro's always been like this, it's kind of in his nature. Give him time and I'm sure he'll come around, trust me," she gave me the most sincere look and then let the issue drop. 

We walked for a time, listening to the gravel crunch beneath our feet, where the paths had recently been cleared of snow. Off in the distance a dust cloud kicked up. Momo held a hand to shade her eyes as she saw the dust cloud approaching.

"What on earth--,"she started.

"I have a feeling I know who that is,"

A faint voice carried in the distance. It was so loud I could almost make out.

"Captain Urahara--, urgent meeting--, headquarter--," the voice shouted several octaves higher than was necessary. 

I planted my hands on my hips and sighed to the clouds. "It's Hitoro alright. Momo do me the biggest favour and book that man in for a spa day, I seriously can't handle it anymore! The poor guys going to explode one of these days from a complete nervous breakdown!"

She giggled beside me but wrote down my request just the same. 

Hitoro dug his heels into the ground to stop his momentum and snapped a smart salute to me.

"Captain Urahara, Ma'am! You and your lieutenants are needed urgently at the First Division headquarters, a meeting is commencing at any moment!" he squeaked. 

"Thank you fourth seat, now please go and get some water before you pass out okay?" 

Still holding his salute, he bobbed his head and tore off down the path without another word. I couldn't help but crack a smile at the silliness of it all.