Chapter 21: One Last Note

Warm rays of light kissed my skin, slowly waking me from my deep sleep. I held up a hand to cover my eyes from the invading light.

"Y-you're awake!" Rangiku squealed, pulling me into one of her full-chested hugs, gagging me in the process.

"Rangiku, please stop smothering me to death," I gasped, pawing at her chest, desperate for reprieve.

Jumping backwards she released me with a start, regarding me like some broken object. "Oh my gosh I am so sorry!" She stammered and fussed with my bandage, shooting up off the floor. "Holy crap I have to tell the captain you're awake! I'll be right back!" I blinked and she was out the door in a flash.

"Rangiku!!"

She poked her head in through the open door with a cocked brow.

"How about covering my chest at least before you get him?" I gestured to my naked upperbody that had only been half bandaged. I felt my cheeks warm with a blush before realizing my nakedness, pulling the sheets around me in a vain attempt at modesty.

She smaked her forehead and stared up at the ceiling. "Sometimes I wonder where my brain goes," she knelt down and made quick work of the bandage. Tying it with a gentle knot she leaned back to admire her handiwork.

"Thanks," I smiled and pulled on a white robe that lay nearby. "I think I'm decent now."

Footsteps thundered down the hallway and without warning Toshiro burst through the doorway. Rangiku winked at me and made a quiet retreat out of the room.

I took in his desheveled state and tried to begin,"Toshiro I--,"

I couldn't finish my words as he collapsed down in front of me. The desperate look in his eyes said everything to me. He knotted his fingers through my hair and pulled me towards him. My hands quivered as I grabbed his robes and tugged him forward, running a shaky hand across the exposed skin of his chest. He tilted my chin and pulled me in for a kiss that took my breath away. Quite literally. My wound began to ache uncontrollably and I found myself fighting to breath. He pushed back and regarded me with a look of what? Guilt?

"It's not bad but I probably shouldn't be running marathons anytime soon," I shrugged, mentally face-punching myself for a shitty joke.

"You shouldn't have been there," he said shortly. "If I had known this was a personal matter you would have never been allowed to accompany me to the world of the living."

His words left me cold. He had to be joking right? Didn't we get passed our differences last night? Or a few nights ago? How long had I been out for?

"I'm alive aren't I? I might have temporarily been shish-kabobed but--"

"that's not even remotely funny," he shot me a warning look.

"I'm sorry," I rubbed my shoulder awkwardly. Now what? "So--"

The door slid open and Kisuke entered, interrupting us. "I've just finished talking with the Head Captain, you three need to clear out of here and get back to the Soul Society." He frowned, clearly looking disappointed at the sudden change of events.

Rangiku appeared by his side with her bag hitched over her shoulder. Panic settled in the pit of my stomach. I was only just beginning to reconnect with Kisuke and we were leaving already?

Kisuke produced a large envelope from his robes. Reading the stress written on my face he dropped the envelope into my lap, fixing a smile on his face. "Relax little sister, it looks like we might have more time to catch up after all." I glanced at the package and looked up at him curiously. "Give this to the Head Captain, he'll know what to do with it." He made to leave but stopped to add, "you might want to volunteer Squad Five for the plans in this envelope. If you do it'll give us more time to get acquainted Akira."

Pushing heavely off the floor I embraced my brother with as much feeling as I could where words were failing me. He rubbed my head affectionately and with such ease I almost missed it he slipped a folded piece of paper into the front pocket of my robe. With a secret wink he disappeared down the hall and out of site.

A gentle hand squeazed my shoulder and without looking I knew Murray was waiting behind me, a silent and calming force, quelling my scattered emotions.

I heard a sigh from behind me. "Let us get going then," Toshiro said, resting his hand on the hilt of his sword. He unsheathed his zanpakuto and stood in the centre of the room. With both hands gripping the hilt, he pushed the sword forward into the air and turned it to the right. A doorway opened with a flourish of his hand.

I pressed a hand against the pocket of my robe, ensuring the note was safely tucked away before stepping into the portal and away from where I desperately wanted to be.