Prologue

A crisp breeze mixed with the rich colours of autumn surrounded us as we made our way down the wooden walkway. It calmed me slightly.  I had always loved watching the leaves turn; signalling the end of summer and its wispy transformation into winter. Sometimes, while sitting outdoors on the porch in Squad Eight, I would remember bygone days spent in a little house with my two older brothers, watching the same trees change. How times had changed. The wind whipped up once again and I drew my rose pink scarf tighter around me, blocking out the invading chill. It was a gift from my captain, a small reminder of the squad I was leaving. It was soft and had delicate hand stitched petals dotted all over its surface, it was quite a lovely piece.

To my right my captain peered down at me with a quizzical look. "Nervous, third seat Yuki?" He offered his most winning smile.

Shunsui Kyoraku never missed a chance to lay on his charm to any female, soul reaper or otherwise, who laid eyes on him. Of course I was nervous. He knew this day would come and so did I. After all it was Captain Kyoraku who suggested I do this in the first place. I found the soft worn hilt of an old blade tucked into the small of my back and rubbed the tiny colourful beads tied to bits of leather on its end, calming myself. I remembered adding those little charms when I was younger, far before my soul reaper days. Days I wished I could have had back. Times really had changed.

"I passed the written exam didn't I?" I smiled, but I knew it didn't quite reach my eyes.

"Relax kid, you've got this. Just breathe and follow your instincts. Don't hold back, the head captain needs to see all of your abilities." He emphasized those last few words. "Besides Akira," he grabbed the rim of his straw hat and adjusted it, "you're talented and driven." He looked at me seriously. "And I've seen a lot of soul reapers who didn't make it this far."

Closing my eyes, I let the autumn breeze gently wash over me. He was right and of course I knew that, after all I became a soul reaper to follow in my brothers' foot steps. If only he could see me now. A small pang of regret swept over me. Quickly as it did though, I suppressed it. Now was not the time.

"You're thinking about your brother aren't you?" Captain Kyoraku guessed. "He would be immensely proud of you I'd bet." He tapped his chin thoughtfully. "In fact I walked this same path with him when he became a captain over fifty years ago."

I didn't say anything in return, Captain Kyoraku was one of only a few people who knew my familial relations and I had no interest digging up the past with him right now.

As we continued to walk, we fell into a synchronized step with the soft sounds of our feet hitting the pathway over and over. It was peaceful and it felt like any other day in the Seireitei. Except that it wasn't like any other day. If I succeeded, I wouldn't be returning to Squad Eight and that thought left my heart heavy. Squad Eight was like a family to me and the captain was my mentor.

I supposed though in some way, this was his final walk with me as well. I was his subordinate and he would have to replace me after all of this was over. I wondered how he felt about it. Looking over at him, he kept his features arranged into an easy smile. Perhaps he didn't mind at all. 

On our right, a tall almost overbearing wall of grey obscured our view of the building behind it; the training grounds of Squad One and, subsequently, our final destination. Approaching the large wooden gates, I felt my confidence return.

The captain had allowed me all the time I needed to prepare for it; my meditation, my studies, long sleepless nights and even longer days. The written portion of the exam wasn't the hardest thing I had ever done in my life. But I had a feeling the practical portion was going to be a challenge.

A warm hand came to rest upon my shoulder. "Breathe Akira and remember," he flashed me another one of his winning smiles, "you've got this kiddo." He opened a small door next the the gate and ushered me forward.

Standing in the middle of the courtyard were three familiar captains. My final examiners. With his long silver hair, it was hard to miss Jushiro Ukitake. His easy smile made him very likeable and his thoughtful expressions gave him a youthful vibe, despite the colour of his hair. I genuinely liked him.

Next to him stood Sajin Komamura. I didn't know much about the captain of Squad Seven. What I did know was that he commanded respect in the Seireitei. I felt that now in his presence.

To his right, and the last captain I laid my eyes on, was the head captain himself, Genryusai Shigekuni Yamamoto. Leaning heavily on his staff, he regarded me with a measure of feigned interest. With an infinitesimal nod, he stepped forward to greet me.

I bowed respectfully.

"Now then, young soul reaper. You will demonstrate to us your abilities and your bankai. I will remind you this examination is a serious request on your part and our time is valuable. If you do not meet our expectations you will be removed as a possible candidate for the position and will not be allowed an opportunity for retrial." With a waive of his hand he dismissed Captain Kyorako and I was alone with them. "Are you sure of this, third seat Akira Yuki?"

Breathe Akira, I repeated the captains words to myself. Looking up at the sky I saw several brightly coloured leaves dancing along the wind and smiled. Stepping forward, I reached for the rosy pink hilt of my zanpakuto over my shoulder and took in another draw of the crisp morning air. Drawing my blade, I walked into my fighting stance. "I'm ready!"

If you're loving what you're reading, please vote! We writers love to know our work is appreciated! Don't be afraid to critique either, I can't improve if I don't know what needs to be fixed!