Chapter 9: The Duel

Rangiku

"Captain why am I up so early this morning?" I stretched out on his couch and yawned. "A girl needs her beauty sleep you know!"

I could hear the irritation in his voice. "We need to get these division schedules done for next week and I'm not in the mood to be writing them up by myself again. Get to work." I peered over the couch at him, he was writing like a mad fool.

I sat up and yawned. "But why so early captain? Couldn't this have waited until later? I had a really late night last night." A late night drinking with a handsome shinigami.

"No this couldn't have waited, I have an important-,  something I can't miss. Don't make me repeat myself lieutenant." I could almost see a nerve bust on his forehead. He was sure testy today.

I looked over at the pile stacked in front of me. Ugh. Why couldn't I convince someone else to do this for me? I'd rather take on a few hollows. After all, a girls gotta see some action once and a while. Maybe I should take that shinigami out again. We could both get some action. What was his name again, I should have written it down. Why can't I remember write these things down when I'm sober? Oh captain stop talking, my head's about to burst! I really shouldn't drink so much on a work night...

***

"RANGIKU!" The captain hollered, almost an inch from my ear. My eyes snapped open and I wiped my face, inspecting the back of my hand. Did I just drool in my sleep?

"Sorry captain I must have dozed off!" I tried looking innocent. He ground his teeth.

"I don't have time for this right now I'm going to be late for that... thing. Get this done before I'm back. I mean it this time Rangiku." he pointed his finger at me severely.

I had a stroke of genius. I reached under the couch and pulled a book out. "I'm really sorry, but I was up so late getting you the latest copy of your comic book! I mean I know how much you love that series captain!" I dangled the book in front of his face.

He looked embarassed and swiped it out of my hands. "It's called manga, Rangiku, and I know damn well that you picked it up last week. Quit procrastinating." He stomped over to his desk and tossed the book in a drawer.

I pouted.

He didn't react. Turning on his heel, he walked straight out the door. 

I wonder where he's headed? I looked over at my work and debated. Nah, this can wait until later. I hopped off the couch and check myself out in the mirror. Giving the girls a quick adjustment and running my fingers through my hair, I followed the captain out.

*** 

I walked up to the large coliseum styled building I had seen him enter. That's right, it's that new captains duel today, what was her name Kira something...Akira maybe? I remembered that the captain had said her name a few times in coversation this week. I was pretty sure he liked her. I really didn't know why; she wasn't much to look at. She was too short, her hair was frumpy and she didn't wear any makeup. Not to mention she was severely lacking in the boob department. I'll problem never understand him.

The inside of the arena was massive. The central ground was surrounded by high rising bleachers and they were packed. Was the entire Seireitei here? Near the bottom by the arena, all of the captains had seated themselves. This must be a pretty big deal then, I thought, making my way over.