Chapter I

*Once upon a time there was a young boy, named Henry. He was roaming through the lands of Grimm-

-Ahem! Sorry narrator, this is my story so I will tell it through my eyes. Thank you.

The beginning of this tale begins on my thirteenth birthday...

"Henry! Hurry down or there will be no birthday bread and presents left for you!" My mother called.

I pull the blankets off my body and stumble out of bed in my rush to get to the delicious treat. What a simple treat, but a rare one for me. We're only able to afford it once a year. My family is so poor, that our pockets only carry lint and our coin box is littered with dust. The money we receive is always spent on food and barely any for clothes. That never bothered me, though, I am happy with what I have. My parents are kind to me, they love me and I don't have to go to school! Well, my parents want me to but they can't afford it. Thank the King because of what I hear from the town's children, school is such a bore.

"Happy birthday Henry, you're a man now!" My father ruffles my short, knotted locks as I entered the kitchen.

"Thanks, father! May I ask how you were able to afford birthday bread along with three gifts?" I ask with amazement as I gaze at the colorful wrapping.

"That is a secret for me and your mother as always," he chuckles.

I sighed, wishing they would tell me. But nonetheless, I was grateful.

"Come on, cut the bread so you can open your gifts" mother smiles as she sits next to father by the table.

I grab the dull knife and slice a small piece. I place it on the waiting platter and pass it to my mother, and another one to my father. I slice another for myself and we dug in happily.

Once we were finished, mother began cooking soup for breakfast.

"You may open your gifts now, Henry," my smile broadens.

I carefully unwrap the decorative paper, so that we could use it again later. One gift is a paper book with a pencil, another is a toy horse and in the last is new clothes!

"What great gifts you have given me this year!" I shout and hug both of them.

-What a happy child I was. I always was, if I remember correctly. That is until the day there was a knock on our door.

*If you will be telling the story, please let the reader know what they are about to read.

-Oh yes, reader, please be aware of what you are about to read will contain depictions of punishments when breaking the law as well as other things I wish not to say. So please if you are sensitive, for your own good read no further, because from here things will take a turn for the worst.

A few days later, someone came knocking on our door. I was in the living room practicing writing with my pencil and paper book as well as wearing my new clothes. My father got up from the couch to answer it.

"Are you-"

I soon tune them out, focusing on writing my name, as neatly as I can. That is until the person came barging in.

"You are arrested for stealing multiple goods, clothing, and food! You will be judged before the town at dusk!" My eyes widen and I run towards the door as I see my father and mother being carried off yelling and screaming.

"We love you, Henry, now run!" Mother wailed yet I couldn't move.

The man holding her slapped her across, "Shut up! Or we'll do something that won't please your husband..."