Chapter Fourteen

I decided to stay with Jim rather than chase down Spock. Even though they both needed help, Jim came first.

I helped Jim stand up and he seemed to slowly be regaining his focus. An awkward silence seemed to settle around everyone.

"I like this ship, it's exciting," Scotty said suddenly with a broad smile. I laughed nervously.

It sure was.

"Well, good job Jim. We now have no captain and no first officer to replace him," Bones said sarcastically, but then realization dawned on me.

"Yes we do," Jim said and took a seat in the captain's chair.

"Pike made him second in command just before leaving," I pointed out.

"Well, that's just grand," Bones said with even more sarcasm.

"Thanks for the support," Jim said back quickly.

"Is that why you goaded Spock like that?" I asked with narrow eyes.

"Yes, but it's complicated, and I promise," He started before looking at me closely. "I will tell you everything soon, but right now, we really need to stop Nero and get back Pike."

I nodded in agreement. He had a plan and his priorities were straight. That was good enough for me.

"I hope you know what you're doing," Uhura said from the side.

" Yeah, I do too," Jim said back. He then opened up a ship wide link that would broadcast to the ship. "Attention crew of the enterprise. This is James Kirk, your new captain. Mr. Spock has resigned command and was forwarded acting captain duties to me. I know you were all expecting to regroup with the fleet but I have different plans. I give order a pursuit course of the enemy ship to Earth. I want all departments at their designated battle stations and ready in ten minutes. Either we are going down or we are, Kirk out."

Chekov turned in his seat to look at us.

"Uh... sir do I have... permission to ... speak?" He asked nervously as about a dozen heads turned to face him.

"You don't need permission just spit it out," Jim said with a small smile. I grinned at him kindly.

"Based on ze' Naradas course from Wulcan' I have projected that Nero vill' travel past Saturn. If we could drop out of Varp behind one of Saturn's moons, say Titan, the magnetic distortion from as planets rings will make us invisible to Nero's sensors. We can follow him to Earth staying in this blind spot." The young boy explained.

I thought it over in my head and theoretically it all made sense. Saturn was a unique planet for many reasons, one of which was its ability to jam even our most intricate sensors and radar due to its magnetic rings.

"Is anyone able to understand this?" Bones asked skeptically. "How old are you?"

"Seventeen sir," Chekoc said, there was a hint of pride in his words.

Bones looked unimpressed. "Oh, good, he's seventeen."

"Doctor. Mr.Chekov is correct," an even, monotone voice that only one person I knew possessed.

I turned to see Spock and could help the small smile that appeared. G

"I have reviewed his theory and if Mr.Sulu can maneuver around the rings then I can beam aboard the Naruda and retrive Comander Pike as well as the device," Spock declared evenly, obviously recovered from his outburst. There was a new shine of hope in his eyes.

"I won't order you to do that," Jim said standing up. There was a new found respect in Jim's eyes that was either there because he was finally captain or because he was actually thankful for Spock's return.

"Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestry. Our cultural similarities will make it easier for me to access their ship's computer systems and locate the device and Captain Pike," Spock claimed swiftly. I found no fault in his claims. "Also, my mother was human, making Earth the only home I have left."

Jim nodded and thought for a second.

"Then I'm coming with you," Jim declared.

"So am I," I said quickly, taking a step forward.

Both men instantly looked apprehensive.

"Spock if you think I'm letting Jim out of my sight again, you're mistaken," I said pointedly before he could argue. "And Jim, you can't stop me even if you tried."

The two men shared another look.

"I would cite a regulation, but I know you two would ignore it," Spock claimed, and I snorted softly.

"Mr. Sulu, set a course for Saturn."