Chapter 44 Confrontation

Sam had difficulty sleeping and was up early when he heard a frantic pounding at his door. He raced to the door and opened it. Aryanna was standing, she was obviously close to panic. "Come in Mom," Sam said softly as her took her hand.

"My girls...my girls!" she gasped then the tears started flowing, she was unable to stop or find words. Sam held her and walked her to a chair and then sat with her.

"They're staying at my mother's home, working on perfume." Aryanna shook her head.

"Brieanna has been injured, her sisters were able to heal her injuries. I felt them emerge..." They were interrupted more frantic pounding was heard and Jayne and George burst into the room not waiting for Sam to open it. "You felt it too?" Aryanna asked. Jayne nodded.

"They are in great danger!" Jayne said.

"Let me ready a wagon, we can go to the village," Sam said. As they stepped outside Dreki landed.

"Niohoggr! You know too!" Aryanna gasped. Aednat who was on the dragons back started shouting in Gaeilge.

"They hurt Momma!" she shouted. The child was weeping and Aryanna took her into her arms.

"Where is she?" Aryanna asked.

"She's locked in a cave, my aunties too."

"Can you take us to her Dreki?" Sam asked.

"I crawled out through a hole. The dragons showed me the hole. I was so afraid. They beat my Momma."

"Why?" Sam asked.

"She wouldn't take off her clothes or tell Grandma Brenda the secret."

"We just can't go running off," Sam said. "The dragon can take us to the cave but if we rush in the girls will surely be killed."

"Do you know where the cave is?" Aryanna asked.

"No, but Dreki does. My mother had a secret laboratory I was never allowed in. I know she has an access tunnel in the house. I think it has other entrances."

"The hole Nit came through was very small," Dreki said, "But I can easily enlarge it, the rock of the cave is soft."

"Let me get Brie and Gwen's swords. We can arm them before we begin our assault," Sam said.

"The covenant, I can't break it, I just can't," Aryanna whispered.

"You can go to the shop and keep my mother engaged, I will go for the girls."

"I'm coming too Aria!" Jayne said. Aryanna nodded at her mother.

"Aednat, you will stay with Grandpa," Sam said.

"No, I want to come. I can get into the cave so Momma is ready."

"No!" Sam said.

"I'm a Valkyrie girl," Aednat said firmly, "I'm brave like my Momma." Sam smiled as she stood firm and resolved, her arms akimbo staring him down.

"OK, my little Valkyrie girl."

Sam strapped on his sword and slung the other swords over his shoulder. He carried three long knives in his belt as they climbed onto the dragon.

"I'll drop you ladies off near the village," Sam said, "Give me about fifteen minutes to set up at the cave then enter the shop."

******************************

Gwen fell heavily to the ground. Brieanna was shouting when Susan put her hand over Gwen's mouth touching a finger to her own lips to silence Gwen. "The dragon knocked you down, so stay down," Susan whispered. Gwen nodded and lay still. "The arrows barely miss you Gwennie," Susan whispered.