Chapter 28 A day on the Water

Haakon waited patiently at the door for his sister and her companion. He had five members of his crew with him. He was excited to show his sister his long ship. It was still rather new and had taken him swiftly to Ireland and Iceland. Gwen and Brieanna were talking together quietly as they stepped out doors. Haakon was shocked to see them dressed as shield-women. Their long, toned, tanned legs, bare tummies, arms and shoulders fully exposed to the morning sun. Both had their sword slung over their back and long belt knives. Haakon was speechless. He could not but notice Brieanna's lovely cleavage and the small knife only partially hidden there. He knew his sister also had a small knife but kept his eyes averted, she was after all his sister. The other men had no difficulty looking the women over, inspecting them from glit circlet to ankle bands. Haakon loudly cleared his throat, "Shield-women, come with us."

"I'm so excited that you're taking me in a long boat," Gwen said happily as she took her brother's hand.

"I didn't expect you to be wearing..."

"We're the Valkyrie sister's," Brieanna teased.

"You both make quite a...a..."

"Spectacle?" Gwen said helpfully, then laughed. The entire village was watching them walk to the boats. Doors and windows were filled as they watched.

"Good morning, shield-women," some said.

"Valkyrie," others whispered.

"Why did you bring so many men with you?" Gwen asked.

"Mother suggested it, Brie could be subject to a vengeance attack."

"I carry no grudge to the families that attacked us," Brieanna said.

"Vengeance is condoned and expected in the laws and traditions. It is inescapable." They walked quietly to the ship as many villagers followed. Brieanna was apprehensive as they walked.

"How big is your ship?" Gwen asked as she looked at the long lean ship and the colorful row of brightly painted shields.

"Ninety-seven feet. We have a full complement of crew."

"Can I row big brother, please? Brie too?" Haakon laughed. He took a wide leather strap and gave two to each of them.

"Wrap your hands in these or you will get blisters. Gwen you sit here," seating her next to a brawny man, "and Brie you sit behind her."

"Can we have our own oar?" Brieanna asked. Haakon laughed.

"Why not, both of you take this seat." They were excited and sitting together as the other seats were taken with one man to each oar. The oarsmen closest to the dock used their oars to push the boat out. Then Haakon ordered all oars out. They struggled with the very heavy oar to get it out. The oarsman behind them laughing. Then the drum started beating out the rhythm of the oars. They struggled to keep up, tangling their oar twice before finally settling down to the slow rhythm. They rowed for what seemed forever. Both felt sweat trickle down their back and chest. The muscles in Brieanna's arms were starting to spasm when the order to bring in the oars was shouted. They pulled their heavy oar in. They sat exhausted as the sail was raised. The boat leaned slightly with the press of the sail and they were off under sail. Haakon stood at the bow and motioned them to join him.

Brieanna's legs were a little wobbly but she and Gwen joined Haakon at the bow. "I love to sail!" Haakon said.

"How fast are we going?" Gwen asked.

"About ten knots, but we can nearly double that if the conditions are right."

"It's a lot like flying," Breanne added. Then some of the oarsmen extended the oars on the windward side of the boat and playing drums walked and danced balancing from oar to oar as others cheered them on. The girls watched in fascination as the men walked the oars.

"Let's try it Brie!" Gwen said. Then both of the stepped over the gunwales and onto an oar and began walking then dancing from oar to oar. Gwen started to falter but in an instant Haakon was at her side offering a helpful hand. Then laughing together, brother and sister danced the oars. Then Haakon extended a hand to Brieanna and they danced the oars.

"Mom and dad are meeting with me before the morning meal to discuss my plans," Gwen said softly after they were back on the boat.

"You want me there?"

"Yes, please." They sailed for several hours pushing the ship. Brieanna loved standing at the bow and feeling the spray. She was just starting to feel a chill when Haakon approached and gave each of then a thick fur.

"Temperature is dropping. We are headed in. Could you be the bow men and handle the ropes."

They nodded and standing together tossed lines to the docks as the ship was tied up. The mood in the village had changed considerably for the walk back. They still had the happy waves and the children walking along with them when a large man holding an ax in one hand and a sword in the other shouted, "I claim the right of vengeance against the white haired one."

Haakon moved to stand between the man and Brieanna when she whispered, "Let me handle this, I will nip this in the bud." Brieanna unsheathed her sword, holding it in both hands. "I have no grudge with you, back down and I'll not harm you."

"DIE!" the man shouted as he lunged. Two bright flashes of light flew from her sword. The first striking his sword heating until it glowed red and he dropped it howling in pain. The second causing the handle of his ax to burst into flame and he dropped it also. Brieanna advanced slowly the glowing tip of her sword pressed to his neck. Dreki red in color uncloaked flying above them.

"Do you think one man can stop me...DO YOU?" She shouted. "I slew over four hundred in one battle. I was defending my home and my people. I have no desire to hurt anyone, but I will not flee from a fight. IT ENDS HERE! Do you understand?" The man nodded. "Return to your homes."

The crowd started to disperse when someone asked, "Who are those women?"

"We're the Valkyries from hell!" Brieanna answered.

They continued their walk to the great hall. The other crew men left them as Gwen, then Brieanna stepped through the door. Haakon took Brieanna's hand gently, "Please just a moment." She nodded. "You were amazing back there."

"I was terrified too," she said smiling.

"I trust you to take care of my sister."

"She has it in her to do what you just witnessed."

"I don't understand."

"She is destined to be a witch and dragon rider just like I am."

"I just need to let her go." Haakon said looking sad and lost.

"It will be hard to do. Loki may yet kill me and her too. But I will do my best by her."

"Too bad you're already married Brie."

"That is the nicest thing you have ever said to me, thank you."

"You are a woman to admire. Where did you get that Valkyrie from hell bit?"

"Do you think it was effective?"

"Very, it even scared me!" Brieanna laughed at his statement.

"It was your idea, remember?"