Chapter 27 Wooden Knife

Gwen had just dozed off laying on her blanket in the soft sand sunning when Brieanna knelt beside her and shook her hair out splattering her with water.

"I was in the middle of a wonderful dream Brie. Now I'm wet!"

"I was swimming with Dreki lazy bones." Brieanna started rubbing lotion on her skin. Could you get my back?"

"You splashed me awake to rub your back?" Gwen said in mock rage.

"Yup, and for this," she handed her a large wooden knife. "My back please, Gwennie dear." Gwen laughed and applied lotion to her back.

"We're going to fight with knives, naked?"

"Totally naked, the knives won't say a thing. We're the Valkyrie sisters."

They sparred with the knives then combining the knife moves with flips and hold breaking. They took numerous breaks to swim with Dreki and to brush the dragon's skin and apply oil. Dreki remained close by sleeping in the sun, occasionally checking on them. "Dreki," Brieanna called, "come swim with us."

"Diving or surfing?"

"Both," the girls said together. They finished at the waterfall then returned home.

"Look what Haakon gave me, a glass mirror," Gwen said teasingly. "And I must admit that I am absolutely beautiful."

"You are Gwennie, let me see!" Gwen handed over the mirror.

"My eyes do color shift!" Brieanna exclaimed. "My eyebrows are so dark."

"You are a striking woman Brie." The statement had both of them laughing. "Could you help me make my own Shield-maiden costume?"

"Yes, let's get your mom to help too."

"I'll need a sword."

"That I can't help you with, I only brought one."

"Let's have a mock knife fight after dinner in the great hall like the men always do."

"Shall we throw axes too?" Brieanna said then laughed.

"No, you goon. We can practice and make the moves like a dance, it will look real. Then we mix in some growls and a few screams."

"You're serious about this?"

"Please, please, please," Gwen begged then laughed.

"Let's make sure the parents know it's a game first, I would hate to be on the sharp end of your families spear."

"Didn't think about that. I will clear it with my parents and Haakon."

Dinner had finished followed by the usual arm-wresting, knife and ax throwing. Then on cue the women stood, "Take that back!" Gwen screamed.

Brieanna glared at her, "You take it back first!" They were each holding one end of a scarf when both pulled knives from their belts. The fact they were wooden not noticed by the curious and horrified watchers. They wrestled, applied holds, broke holds and flipped each other in rapid succession. They screamed and growled at each other, pulling hair and kicking. Then as their final move the plunged their daggers into each other's bellies and collapsed laying still. The audience who had been watching, gasped.

Still holding the scarf they rose from the floor laughing, then hugging and bowed to the crown. The response was loud hoots and applause. Smiling brightly they both took their seats and were toasted several times.

"What was that about?" Harald whispered to Inga.

"Your daughter decided she was a Valkyrie."

"Then give her one of my swords, an Irish blade like the other Valkyrie." Gwen was on her feet running to her father.

"Thank you Dad."

Haakon laughed at the both of them. Gwen was a remarkable young woman.

*********************************************

Gwen stood on a chair in her mother's room while Inga held up different furs and leathers against her skin. Brieanna was wearing her shield-woman outfit and was assisting. "Well what do you think?" Gwen asked.

"White stoat skin looks fantastic on Brie but you need something darker. When did you skin get so dark?"

"We've been tanning."

"What were you wearing?"

"Not a stitch," Gwen and Brieanna laughed with Gwen's pronouncement.

"I'm not sure so much sun is healthy, but I must say you look ...look..."

"Striking!" Gwen suggested.

"Yes, stunning too. I think the fox skin would be best," Inga said.

"Yes!" Brieanna agreed.

"Make mine just like Brie's."

"I can do that."

"I won't need the leggings. It's much warmer out now."

"What will you have on your legs then?"

"Brie has these thick gold bands."

"Yes I remember you had then on your wrists and upper arm."

"I have several more," Brieanna said. "We can also wear then on our ankles."

"Brie also gave me a little knife that can hide between my breasts."

"Where do you plan on wearing you costume?"

"Haakon is taking us sailing tomorrow," Gwen said, "I'll wear it then."

"Brie, do be careful. There are a lot of folks that would like nothing better than to kill you. They have a score to avenge from the battle on your island."

"Do you have any idea who was behind the attack?"

"Harald would never authorize such an attack. But Loki, he is up to something. He also forced you to come here. That I can't figure out."

"I was truly destined to come here," Brieanna said. "I hope only to help, and rescue Sam."

"Mom, I need to talk to you and Dad about the prophesy."

"When, I will do whatever I can."

"Brie and I have a plan. Haakon knows and supports it. So the day after tomorrow before the morning meal I want all of us to sit down and talk. I wish Eric was here too."

"Eric will arrive with Loki, I am worried about him," Inga said.

oUj=DUٶ