Chapter 18

It feels so good to be home. Kaylie and I moved back in the day that Grayson and I got back together. She was so excited. It's almost liked she missed Grayson more than I did. I seriously don't think that's possible, though.

There's a knock on the door. It's probably Cynthia coming to pick up Kaylie. They're going to the park and then back to Cynthia's. Kaylie's been wanting to spend the night with her grandma.

I get up and head to the door. I was right. Cynthia's here. I open the door to let her in.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to knock? You're family."

"I know. I just keep forgetting."

"Come on in." I step out of the way for her to come in the house.

"Kaylie, come here!"

"Coming!" She comes running from her bedroom. "Grandma!"

"Hi, sweetie."

She gives Cynthia a hug. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

"Cynthia, can I get you anything?"

"No. I'm fine. Thanks."

They stay another few minutes.

"I guess we should get going. We don't want the park to be too crowded when we go. You know how it gets on the weekends."

"Alright." I turn to Kaylie. "Have fun, sweetheart. I love you."

"I love you too. Tell Daddy that I love him."

"I will." I kiss her forehead. I stand up to give Cynthia a hug. "Let me know if she misbehaves. She won't be able to go to that birthday party next weekend if she does."

"I will. Bye, honey."

"Bye."

When they leave, I sit back down on the couch. I turn on the TV and start flipping through the channels. I'm satisfied when I see that there's going to be a marathon of The Brady Bunch. I used to watch that show with my mom. It was her favorite.

I'm in the middle of the first episode when there's a knock on the door. Cynthia just left with Kaylie like ten minutes ago, so it can't be her. Grayson is at work so it shouldn't be any of his friends. I get up off the couch and head to the door. When I open it, who I see is not who I was expecting. Jeremy is standing on my doorstep.

"If you're here to try to talk me out of marrying Grayson, or to try to take Kaylie away from us, you're wasting your time."

"I know. That's not why I'm here."

"Then why are you here?"

"I need to talk to you. I came to apologize."

That's not what I was expecting. "Fine. Come in."

We make our way towards the couch. I sit at one end while he sits at the other.

"Lacey, I'm sorry. What I did was wrong."

"Then why did you do it? Why did you take away my happiness?"

"I was trying to respect your parents' wishes. They wanted you to marry someone who could provide for you."

"I'm sure that's true. I also know that they would want me to be happy. Grayson makes me happy."

"I know he does. I should have respected that. I'm sorry that I didn't. I was just trying to get for you what I couldn't give to Cynthia."

"What are you talking about?"

"When Cynthia and I first met, I was just starting out as a musician. I know it's hard to believe, but I was. Her father didn't think I'd be able to provide for her. He told me that I could either find a more stable job or break it off with her. I didn't want to do either, so I continued as a musician and continued to date Cynthia. Her father was furious. Cynthia went against him and agreed to marry me at 18. When we started out, things were rough. There were times when I could barely afford for us to eat. There were also times I thought she'd listen to her father and leave me. I eventually put my college education to use and worked at the law firm. I just didn't want you to hurt like Cynthia. You're a lot like her when she was younger."

"How so?"

"You're both full of so much spirit. You don't need someone to take care of you. You're strong and independent. When you love someone, you love with all your heart. You're not afraid to be who you are. You're so willing to go against what I was telling you for love. There aren't many people who would do that. I'm so sorry I tried you force you to do something you were completely against. I'm also sorry for threatening to take Kaylie away from you. You're so good to her. I wouldn't want anyone else to raise her."

"We all make mistakes. We have to learn to put them behind us in order to keep living our lives."

"You're exactly right. I really am so. I hope you can come to forgive me."

"It's not going to be easy. You truly hurt me, but I am willing to try. If you are."

"Of course. I want things to go back to the way they were between us."

"Me too."

I stand up to give him a hug.

"I love you, Jeremy."

"I love you too."

"This is not what I was expecting to see when I came home." I turn to see Grayson standing in the doorway of the living room.

"You're home early."

"Yeah. Business is slow today. What's going on here?"

"Jeremy came by to apologize."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

Grayson walks over and shakes Jeremy's hand. "It's good to have you back."

"It feels good to talk to y'all again."

He stays for a few minutes. "I really should get going. I have a date with my granddaughter tonight."

"Alright. Bye."

"Bye."

I shut the door behind him. I turn around only to be grabbed by the waist. Grayson's lips are on mine in a matter of a few seconds.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too."

He pulls me even closer. "I love you, sweet pea."

"I love you too." He gives me another satisfying kiss.

"You know what I want to do?" He wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.

"Always."

Before he can kiss me again, I break free and take off running.

"Get back here!"

"Nope! You have to catch me!"

"No problem!"

He starts running after me. I run into the bedroom and try to shut the door in his face. It doesn't work out. He's in the bedroom before I can even blink.

"Do you know what happens to nightly girls?"

"No. What?"

"They get punished." He starts walking towards me, and I start walking backwards. I fall back on the mattress.

"You're lucky I love you."

"Oh. Why's that?"

"Because instead of punishing you, I'm going to make love to you."

"What are you waiting for then?"

"Nothing."