Chapter 4

*ring* *ring* *ring*

I hate my stupid alarm. I wish I could figure out how to change that damn sound.

After shutting off the awful noise, I begrudgingly get out of bed. I go to the bathroom to take a shower. Once I'm done, I brush my teeth and head back into my room.

I go to my closet and pull out a dark blue dress. I might as well look nice for these people that I don't want to meet. After I'm dressed, I put on just enough make-up. I finish off my look with a pair of silver pumps.

I head downstairs to find Grayson and Janie ready to go on the couch. They look up when I finish my descent. Janie rushes over to me. "Oh my gosh! You look so beautiful."

Before I can say anything, Grayson responds. "You really do look stunning." He gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks guys."

"You're welcome, sweet pea." I glare at him.

"Can we go? I want to get this over with so I can come home and put on more comfortable clothes."

"Let's go."

Grayson takes my hand and we walk out to his car. He opens the door for me and then Janie. He's such a gentleman.

We start driving to wherever the three men are staying. I assume Jeremy's house because he invited them.

My assumptions are confirmed when we pull up in front of the three story house. Cynthia walks out as soon as we pull up.

Grayson parks the car and comes around to open mine and Janie's doors. I see the smile that finds its way on Cynthia's face. "My, don't you look lovely."

"Thanks, Cynthia."

"You're welcome, doll. Jeremy is waiting for you."

"Okay." I go to walk in and Grayson grabs my arm.

"Let me escort you in."

"Okay."

When we go inside, Jeremy meets us by the door. "Before you go in there, I want you to know I love you like you're my own daughter. I'm only doing his because I want you to have the future you deserve."

"It's fine. Let's just get this over and done."

We walk into the living room and I automatically see the men sitting on the couches.

"Everybody, I'd like you to meet Lacey Stevens. Lacey, these are the men that your parents chose. This is Daniel McCarthy." I shake his hand. "This is Aaron Roberts." I shake his hand as well. "Last, but not least, this is Kyle Black." I give him the same treatment as the first two.

"I want you to mingle with them. You have to make your decision by the end of the day."

I groan. "I only get a few hours to decide my future? That's f**ked up."

"Lacey, there are guests. Watch your mouth."

"Come on, Jeremy. I'm 22 damn years old. I'll say what I please."

I head towards Daniel. "Hi."

"Listen. I don't want to be here any more than you do. I saw the look on your face when you walked in. You don't like he idea of giving your future to a stranger. I don't either. I like to get to know people. So let's just agree to be friends."

I'm stunned. "I like you already." I stick my hand out. "Friends?"

"Friends."

"By the way, I see the way you're looking at Janie. Go talk to her, and get to know her. She's a great person."

"Okay. Thanks."

"No problem."

Next, I head to Aaron. "Hi."

"Hello."

"So, how are you?"

"Eh."

He's looking at his phone. Rude much?

"Are you going to talk to me or stare at your phone the whole time?"

He finally looks up. "I'd rather look at my phone. You're nothing but a spoiled princess who gets what she wants. I have no interest in wasting my time talking to you. So if you'll excuse me, I'm just gonna go back to texting my friend. Who, by the way, is prettier than you."

"You're an asshole. You know that?"

He starts to say something but I walk away. I really don't care what he has to say. I can't believe he had the nerve to talk to me like that. Oh well, I'll be just fine.

I finally make my way over to Kyle. I open my mouth to say 'hi' but he cuts me off. "I really don't want to hear what you have to say. I'm not interested in some princess who needs a man to help her run her life. I-"

It was my turn to cut him off. "I do NOT need a man to help me run my life. I'm only doing this because my it was my parents' final wish. I don't want to waste my time talking to someone who thinks they're above me."

I turn to walk away, but he calls out to me. "I'm sorry. My parents told me that you were a spoiled princess and you needed a man to take care of you."

"It is what it is. I just wish you had given me a chance to introduce myself."

"I truly am sorry. I just don't like the fact that I have to marry somebody I don't know."

"Me either."

"So, if you don't like the idea, why are you trying to ruin my life?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why are you trying to ruin my life? I already know that you're going to pick me. All the women pick me over other men. I just want to know why you chose me."

"I didn't choose you. My parents had this all set up before they died three and a half years ago. I have to get married by the time I'm 22. I'm sorry they chose you. I'm also sorry that your parents had to raise you. You're nothing but a bastard."

"I'm sorry your parents had to raise you. You're a complete bitch. I don't know why anyone would want to be in the same area as you, let alone marry you."

"Asshole." I walk off and head to the kitchen. I grab a bottle of water out of the fridge and go outside to sit at the picnic table. I hear the door open but don't look up.

"Honey, what's wrong? I saw you talking to Kyle and then you stormed out of the room."

"Cynthia, Kyle and Aaron are assholes."

"What about Daniel? Is he an asshole too?"

"No, he's not. We just aren't right for each other. He's got an eye for Janie. We did agree to be friends, though."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, sweetie. What are you gonna do?"

"The only thing I can do."

"Which is?"

"Before I tell you, you have to promise me you won't tell Jeremy."

"I promise, honey."

"Grayson and I had an agreement last night. He told that Jeremy forgot to mention that I didn't have to marry any of those men of I found someone else. Grayson agreed to marry me, but only if I didn't take an interest in any of those guys that my parents chose. I'm going to marry Grayson."

"I'll support you, no matter what. I just want you to be sure that it's what your heart desires."

"Thank you, Cynthia."

"Not a problem. Now, what do you say we go eat? I made lasagna and garlic bread."

"You really know the way to my heart."

"I should. I pretty much raised you."