Chapter 5

After my talk with Cynthia, I felt better. My mood was quickly changed when I walked into the dining room to see that the only open seat was between the two assholes. This day just keeps getting better and better. Grayson catches my eye, and he must see the look on my face because he stands up.

"Here, Lacey. You can have my seat."

"Thank you."

"Nonsense. She can sit next to Aaron and Kyle."

"Jeremy, let the poor girl sit where she wants."

"Cynthia, if she's going to spend the rest of her life with one of these nice young men, she needs to sit by them."

"You want me to sit by them? Fine. I'll do it but don't expect me to make small talk."

"Yes you will. In order to learn more about them, you need to talk to them."

"Who died and made you king?"

"Your parents!"

He just crossed the line. "Lacey-"

"No, Jeremy. I don't want to hear it."

I push my chair back and walk out of the dining room. I head to the front door and walk out. I hear footsteps behind me, but I don't care to know who's behind me.

"Lacey, talk to me."

"I don't wanna talk, Grayson."

"Okay. Then listen. I know what he said was wrong. He crossed the line when he said that. Look at me."

I look at him, with tears in my eyes.

"Come here, sweet pea." He wraps me in his arms. "I know you miss your parents. They were good people. I also know that this a hard decision for you. I just want you to know that no matter what you choose, I'm going to support you. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Let's go back inside."

He takes my hand and leads me back to my seat at the table. It's quiet for a few minutes.

"Lacey, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"It's fine, Jeremy."

We all go back to eating out delicious lunch.

"Cynthia, this really good."

"Thank you, Janie."

After everyone's finished eating, we all go back into the living room. Cynthia, Jeremy, and Janie start a conversation amongst themselves. Grayson is trying to make conversation with Aaron and Kyle, but they don't seem too interested. The only person left is Daniel. I walk up to him.

"Hey, friend."

"Hey."

"How'd things go with Janie?"

"Pretty well, actually. I know that I'm here to get to know you, but when I first saw you I knew we were going to be friends, instead of getting married."

"Me too. It's just I get this feeling with people. Like when I first met Janie, I knew she was going to be my best friend. When I first met Kyle and Aaron, I knew they were assholes. Then, when they started talking, I knew how much of an asshole they were."

"I know. When I first saw those two, and then you, I knew there was no way you would marry either of them. Then Janie came in and I couldn't breathe. Is that weird?"

"No, it's not. Everyone deserves to be happy. You should ask her out. I know she likes you."

"How? You haven't talked to her since y'all have been here."

"When we were looking at the informational pieces on y'all, she kept saying how hot you are. So, are you going to ask her out?"

"I think so. What are you gonna do, though? We're just friends and I can tell you don't like Aaron or Kyle. So, what are you gonna do?"

"Trust me. I didn't come here without a backup plan."

"Ooh. I wanna know what it is."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. We're friends, so I wanna know what tricks you have up your sleeve."

"Okay. So you see that guy over there?" I pint to Grayson and he nods. "Well, he told me that Jeremy forgot to mention that if I had my own man to marry, I wouldn't have to marry any of you."

"So, you're going to marry Grayson."

"How did you know? We just met. I've known Janie and Cynthia pretty much my whole life, and they had to ask who I was going to marry."

"We may have just met, but I wasn't born yesterday. I see how you two look at each other. There's clearly something below the surface here."

"I'm impressed. I didn't think anyone could see that I was in love with him."

"Trust me. He's in love with you two."

"How can you tell?"

"Well, when y'all first walked up, I saw the look in his eyes. Then when you came in for lunch, he immediately offered you his seat so you wouldn't have to sit between those bastards. Finally, when Jeremy said what he did, hi didn't waste any time following you."

"It's just his job to protect me."

"Lacey, he wasn't protecting you. He was comforting you. There's a difference."

"If you say so. Now, when are you going to ask out my best friend?"

"After you've made your decision. I don't want anyone thinking that something's up."

"Understandable."

For about another thirty minutes, I continue to talk to Daniel. He's funny, smart, and caring. I hope things work out for him and Janie because he's such a good friend. He seems to know more things about me just by facial expressions. It's like we've known each other forever. He could be a secret brother or something. That'd be cool.

"Lacey, can you come here please?"

"I gotta go. Bye."

"Bye."

I make my way to Jeremy.

"What?"

"Have you made your decision?"

"Yes, I have."

"Are you sure it's what you want? I don't want you to choose someone and then realize it's a mistake."

"I'm positive. I know exactly who I'm going to choose."

"Okay. I just want you to be happy. I'll help you with any arrangements you need."

"I appreciate that so much, Jeremy. Just be sure you know what you're getting yourself into."

"I think I can handle it. You're like my daughter. I'd do anything for you."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

If only he knew what he was getting into. It's not that he doesn't like Grayson; he does. It's just he doesn't think I should be with him. He thinks that Grayson is just trying to take over the company. I know for a fact that that's not true. Grayson respects me. He wouldn't do anything to take away what's rightfully mine.

"Lacey, honey, are you ready to announce your decision?"

"Yes I am."

Time to give Jeremy the shock of his life.