Chapter 10

Chapter 10

<> 

“Serenity.” I felt two firm hands shake my shoulders. “Serenity.”

I then heard a worried gasp. “Angelo. Angelo. What do we do? If only I hadn’t told her to set the detonator off.”

I blinked slowly, before placing my hands on the ones on my shoulder. “Can you stop shaking me?” My voice came out croaky like it does after I wake up in the morning. I looked up into the georgous blue eyes of Kyler and he quickly removed his hands. Glancing at Patricia’s worried expression and Kyler’s long straight face; I frowned only to press my fingers against the throbbing pain in the back of my head.

“Someone hit my head?” I searched everyone’s faces, confirming the fact with their returned grim expressions. “Ahh geez.” I cautiously touched the back of my head, feeling the prominent lump there.

“Oh! This is my hotel room..” I glanced around recognizing the suite, the messy clothes and the sheets. I glanced at the beside table where my alarm clock was blinking the numbers three, five and nine at me. Almost four in the morning? Gosh, I must have been out for a while.

“It wasn’t exactly the safest thing to leave you back at Angelo’s place.” He shrugged. “I’m investigating. Sorry, I promise to be at your side next time.”

 “I’m fi – ” I winced at the sudden pain. “Not actually, I’m not fine.”

Kyler pushed aside my hair and examined the lump. “It should be fine. I called the family doctor to have a look. He said that it should heal within a week. It’s not that serious.”

I stepped off the bed and headed for Angelo and Patricia.

“I’m sorry for ruining your birthday and the party.” I began. “But I have to say, the fireworks were pretty. Or the first half was - I didn’t quite see the second. Shame really.”

“It’s not a problem. I have a birthday party every year, so stopping one halfway wasn’t a big deal.” Angelo nodded heartily. Patricia leaned forward and touched my arm.

“It’s alright Reni. The first half of the fireworks was better than the second right  Right, honey?” Patricia raised her eyebrows daring her husband to challenge her. He chuckled and nodded.

“Of course.”

I joined in with the laughter. “Anyway, thank you so much for coming all the way here to the hotel.”

“No problem Reni. Angelo and I had business to attend here anyway. Though it does start after a few hours – we’re quite early.” The couple laughed together and I smiled.

“Well, I’m sure Kyler can spare a room for you two.” I turned to look at him. He nodded.

“Yeah but I’m afraid it’s a regular suite. All the presidential ones are booked.”

“I would love to take you up on the offer but we do need to fix ourselves up and that’ll probably take up most of the time.”

“That’s fine.” Kyler nodded and I piped up.

“Well, I’m sorry for keeping you here. You must hurry on.” I spoke seriously and they laughed again. Patricia leaned in a pecked me on the cheek before saying goodbye and heading out. I flopped backwards onto my bed and winced on impact.

“You’re such an idiot.” He sat down on the bed and leaned over. He put my head on his lap and began to massage it gently. I flushed at our close proximity and closed my eyes.