Happily Ever After

"Have you missed me, Kay? His voice echoes around the cellar. "I suppose you don't think much to your accommodation." He takes several steps down the stairs. "I was going to redecorate but never got round to it. I hope you can forgive me. Time just seems to race by so fast these days..." He reaches the foot of the stairs.

There's a click, and an ancient light bulb buzzes into life. My eyes squint at the sudden brightness.

"Much better." He moves towards me, until he's a stride away, and then stops. "Such a pretty girl," his fingers stretch to touch my cheek. "So much like your mother."

I shiver at the contact, and turn away.

"You don't need to be afraid, Kaitlyn. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just doing what I have to do."

I spit in his face.

He smirks, and calmly wipes the saliva away with the back of his hand.

"Of course, you'll never fully understand, Kaitlyn. But I want you to try." He pulls up a wooden crate that's leaning against one of the cellar walls and sits down, so his eyes are level with mine. He inhales deeply and clears his throat. "It began 23 years ago, at a bar in Knightsbridge, West London. I'm seated in the corner, sipping some alcoholic beverage and making idle chit-chat to a business colleague of mine, when suddenly I clap eyes on your mother, leaning casually against the wall; the most beautiful woman God has ever put on the Earth. I rise from my seat, and approach her. Almost instinctively, she looks straight at me, and our eyes meet."

He falls silent for a long moment, staring off into space, lost in the past. Then suddenly, he begins again as if nothing had happened.

"I knew, in that second, that we were meant to be. You see, your mother and I, we had something special. Yes, we were in love, but...but it was more than that. I felt," he pauses, "still feel, drawn towards her by a power greater than anything we simple humans can comprehend." He reaches into his jeans pocket, and pulls out a crumpled photograph. "This was our first holiday together, just me and her, in a tiny cottage by the sea. Boat trips and candlelit dinners, long walks along the beach, hand in hand and at the end of the day, falling asleep next to other by the fire. What could be more romantic? She was my world, and I was hers. Nothing else mattered. And then.....and then she found out she was pregnant." He laughed, but his eyes weren't smiling. "I didn't want children, but she was so happy, I couldn't help but be happy for her. And honestly, when I held Jenny in my arms for the first time, all my doubts and reservations evaporated. We were model parents: caring, loving and attentive. Success seemed to be our family's middle name - Jenny was always top of her class and she got the starring role in every school play; I was always getting offered  promotions and pay rises at work; your mother started up her own cookery course and quickly became a national sensation. For us, at least in that small window of time, the only way was up. Our family couldn't have been more perfect. But," his face darkened, "your mother got pregnant again, with you. I begged her and begged her to have an abortion: one child I could cope with, but two..."
He clenched his fists. "I never even wanted one, but I compromised. I sacrificed my own needs for her, because I loved her. All I wanted was for her to do the same for me. But no!" He was getting visibly angry now, rising from his crate to pace restlessly from one side of the cellar to the other. "She was selfish. She refused to get rid of it. She couldn't resist the chance to play "mother" again, even if it meant giving up her career, her fame, everything she'd worked for." His voice escalated to a shout. "She just didn't get it. She only did what she wanted to do. I never figured in the equation. After you were born, we began to argue more and more. She moved rooms, and then eventually houses. She stayed at her best friend's flat; and took Jenny and you with her; got a job in the local library - that's where she met Charlie. They discovered they shared a mutual interest in romance novels, their relationship blossomed, blah blah blah, they got married and turns out they lived Happily. Ever. After. Leaving me, faithful and loving husband number one, to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart alone."