Chapter Four - In Another Life

Natalia POV

I walked into Oleg’s parent’s restaurant and spotted him towards the back at a table which seated four.

‘Oleg,’ I called out, and he lifted his head from his laptop to send me a grin.

I straightened my black tight dress as I walked over to him. I was wearing my trusty black pumps and my blonde hair was in a neat bun.

‘Hey Natalia, you look nice,’ Oleg told me, even though his face had only left the laptop for a maximum of two seconds.

I joined him at the table and watched as he continued to type intently into his laptop.

‘Where’s your bodyguard?’ I asked him, looking around the busy restaurant and not seeing any sign of Alexander.

‘Who?’ he asked, eyes no leaving the screen.

‘Alexander obviously,’ I laughed.

‘Oh, he’s at his parents’ house I think. So what do you need?’ he asked me, drawing his eyes away from the screen to face me.

It was rare to see Oleg without trusty Alexander at his side.  When it came to Oleg my father knew that he needed protection. His work for the company was invaluable but he wasn’t the strongest fighter or fastest thinker in life and death situations. If it wasn’t for Oleg’s skills my father’s organisation would be nowhere near as powerful as it is today. It is thanks to Oleg’s skills that the government still had very few images of my brothers and I, that most of our people were able to fly under the radar and that our operations were able to stay as hidden as they were. I understood why Alexander got threatened by my father when he heard that Oleg was put in prison. Guys like him wouldn’t survive in there and people like my father wouldn’t survive out here without guys like Oleg.

Oleg could avoid getting arrested if he had wanted but with the amount of cops on the payroll, we didn’t really need to worry, preferring to spend his time on more high priority cases which drew the attention of those who preferred not to associate with my father’s operations, or even more importantly, those who would stop at nothing to bring my father down.

Oleg was going to have to be careful from now on, well, until I take Wyatt down at least.  

‘I need a new identity. He’s a cop, so if he looks me up on the data base there must be some proof of me. Oh, and I have to be American, if I was Russian it would be too suspicious.’

‘Ok, but how are you going to do that? You have an accent.’

‘It’s called faking it Oleg,  gosh, it’s really not that hard,’ I told him in my best American accent, giving him a knowing grin when I finished speaking.

‘That was actually pretty good, just watch your pronunciation and you should be fine.’

‘How long will it take?’

‘I can have it done by the morning, but I can do all the info now ready for you to read over.’

‘Good,’ I smiled at him ‘I want to get started as soon as possible.’

I ordered some food and waited while my friend created a complete new identity for me.

After some time he finally looked up at me.

‘Ok, your name is Natalie Craig, you’ve lived in Chicago your whole life, and your parents lived in Chicago since they were kids but they are retired now, living in Florida. You’ve got a licence, social secuirty number, work and tax records and an address. I’ve sent all you need to know to your phone, so read it and know it. There’s no room for mistakes here Natalia,' He told me seriously and I didn’t miss the worry his eyes held.