Immortal (Part One)

Thirty years later

Jon Marlan had no inkling of the disasters ahead when he woke that morning. He got out of bed, stood under the spray shower for all of the two minutes the device allowed, dressed in a gray singlesuit, ate his breakfast in front of the dispenser and caught the tunnel train to work, all as usual.

He greeted Moira at the Reception desk, then went into his office and brought up today's schedule on his console unit. He smiled. Mr Drexler was coming in this morning for his bi-monthly visit. Although he was no longer part of the Administration team, he still loved to keep an eye on what was happening. He would be quite happy wandering around the facility, chatting to old friends before he'd pop in to see Jon around lunchtime. Jon made a note to have a bottle of Red Crater brandy brought up with a couple of glasses. He'd have a mouthful or two to keep the old man company

Jon read down further and his mouth twisted as he saw the appointment at 14.00 in the Bio Lab with Doctor Jenner. Twelve months he'd been working at Stek Industries and he still couldn't overcome that shiver of revulsion when he went into the Bio Lab. All those specimens in glass containers, lined up on benches as if Jenner couldn't bear to be separated from them.

Jon dealt with correspondence for an hour and then decided it was time for a cup of coffee in the lunch room. He always made a point of taking his break along with the rest of the staff. He thought it was important to be seen as approachable. After all, as Deputy Manager he wanted to hear about any problems as early as possible and he found it gave him a good feel for things, listening to the general chat and watching the interaction between staff.

"Good morning, Sali," he greeted the young woman sitting at a table with a baby on her knee. The baby was drinking gustily, eyes closed and tiny fists batting at the bottle. "How is Adam today?"

Sali smiled up at him. "He's fine, Jon. Slept through, with only one feed at around 2:00."

"No change I suppose?" Jon asked, as a matter of course.

"No. Not yet," Sali answered as she always did.

Jon nodded and moved across to the food dispenser. He programmed a coffee and then sat to drink it at a table filled with technicians from maintenance.

A young woman entered and sat next to Sali. "I can take him for a bit if you like, Sal," she offered.

"Thanks, Chynna," said Sali, handing the baby over. Adam opened his eyes for a moment, looked at Chynna, then closed them again, and continued sucking on his bottle.

Everything seemed to be progressing normally and Jon returned to his office, eager to get back to work.

But just as he sat down, a handsome young man wearing a three piece suit, the absolute latest in modern design, strode into the Reception foyer.

"Boom! Boom! Shake that room! Are y'all ready for me?" he called out cheerfully. He went up to the Receptionist who was looking startled, uncertain whether to return his smile or call for the manager. He took the matter out of her hands.

"Hi there, Moira," he said, peering at her holobadge. "You're new here, aren't you? I'm Jeri Stek. Let Marlan know I'm here, will you?" he asked.

"Certainly, sir. Is Mr Marlan expecting you, Mr Stek?" she asked, vainly searching her schedule for the day.

"I hope not," answered Jeri. "It wouldn't be a surprise visit if he was expecting me, would it?"

He turned to beam at a couple of technicians who had poked their heads around the door, curious to see who was making all the noise.

"Boss in the building!" the word spread like wildfire amongst the staff. Jeri Stek didn't visit very often but when he did, everyone jumped to attention. Hastily, people tidied their work areas and many of them, men as well as women, took a few moments to straighten their hair. The few people still grabbing a coffee in the lunch room hurried back to their stations.

In the crèche, Henk picked up baby Adam from his cot and tucked him into the carrysak on his back, before going back to work.

All through the facility, people mentally summarised the status of their current projects, and prepared themselves to answer questions.

Jon hurried into the foyer, wishing fruitlessly that his boss had been there today of all days to take over. Jeri with his expensive rich-boy looks and total self-confidence, always made him feel inadequate.

Jeri was laughing with one of the younger, and prettier, female technicians when Jon arrived.

"Excuse me, Mr Stek?" Jon interrupted. "How can I help you today?"

"Oh hullo, Marlan," Jeri turned away from the young woman with some reluctance. "Just thought I'd pop in and see what you were all up to. That's all right with you, isn't it?" He turned back to smile at the young woman who was blushing faintly. "I'll call you later, Bela," he added.

Jeri continued talking as he led the way into the depths of the research centre, Jon trotting behind like a reluctant acolyte. "What can I say? The truth is lots of girls like me because, let's face it, I'm pretty adorable, and, uh, my aloofness unconsciously reminds them of their fathers, so... I'm more used to them approaching me. My latest theory? Maybe I'm a god. I've denied the signs for too long."

Jeri laughed, amused by the disapproving expression on the younger man's face. Jon had looked so serious and worried when he'd entered the foyer, he hadn't been able to resist teasing him.

"So, back to business then. What's happening here that I don't know about?"