Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Twenty Nine

Rebecca and Draco walked side-by-side as they made their way, with the other Death Eaters, to the Astronomy Tower. They said nothing to each other, for there was nothing that needed to be said. The two of them knew how they felt about each other, and there was no time for good byes due to the company they were in.

As they all neared the stairs to the Astronomy Tower, they came face to face with a forbidding and hostile looking wall. Not one of bricks however, but of witches and wizards, all armed and ready to fight.

Rebecca was glad, as she scanned the harshly lit faces, that she was wearing her mask. Many of the opposition were people who she knew, and she was pretty sure that they’d be shocked if they knew here true identity.

“Well would you look at that,” Alecto laughed, her brother joining in with a wheezy chuckle. “We have a welcoming party!”

“I’d advise you to all turn around and leave,” Professor McGonagall said, stepping forwards from the line of opponents.

“There’s little chance of that,” Fenrir barked back with a venom, causing a man in the line whom Rebecca didn’t recognise to flinch slightly.

“Very well,” McGonagall nodded, returning back to her former pose. “You have broken into this school illegally, so we are permitted to take further action to protect the students in this school from harm.”

In an instant everybody began to fight, spells flying between the two groups of good and bad. Rebecca watched as, through the chaos and madness, Gibbon managed to slip past the defence to the tower stairs, disappearing out of sight as someone blocked Rebecca’s view.

Without a second thought, Rebecca shot a curse at them, regretting it as it recast off of their reflective shielding spell and back towards her. She jumped quickly out of the way as it smashed into the brick wall behind her, filling the air with dust.

Darting forwards, she escaped a second fight with the same wizard, finding herself being flung to one side by Fenrir as he leapt at a tall, red-headed boy. A Weasley relative, no doubt.

“Rebecca,” came an almost desperate sounding call that picked up her attention immediately.

She ran over to Amycus and Alecto who were struggling to fend off their adversaries as they climbed the Astronomy Tower stairs.

“Fetch Severus,” Alecto yelled at her sharply.

Rebecca hesitated as a body slumped to the floor in front of her, their face hidden from sight, their blood spilling out into a puddle around her feet. “What about Draco?” She whispered, turning her gaze away from the corpse.

“He’s fine,” Yaxley sad as he pushed past Rebecca to get up the stairs. “Now go!”

Leaping into action, Rebecca began to run through the fight. She grimaced in pain as a spell hit her in the arm, slashing through her dress sleeve, revealing crimson red that began to soak up in the torn material. But there was no time to stop to examine the wound.

It took just a few minutes to reach Severus Snape. Rebecca had only just got to the stairs when she almost ran into him, his face emotionless as she told him that they were unfairly outnumbered and that Draco would surely need his support.

His dark eyes bore into her own as he gave her a single, mysterious stare. “Go,” he said plainly.

“What? Erm, yes. Sorry. I’m going back now. I just had to come and get you, I mean, I-”

“No,” Severus interrupted. “I mean go. Leave. Run.”

Rebecca opened her mouth, and then closed it, only to re-open it again in shock, ending up looking most probably like a fish gulping for air. “But, I... What?!”

A flash of what could only be described at anger flickered across Severus’ face. “Do I need to tell you again, Rebecca? Is it really that hard for you to understand? I want you to leave Hogwarts, find some place safe to stay low for a while, just until this is over.”

“Draco,” Rebecca managed to choke out in reply, her head spinning. Was Snape really asking her to go? Why? Did he think it was too dangerous for her?

“I will take care of that,” Severus said, striding past her. “Just make sure you don’t return to us until this is all over.”

Rebecca watched as he hastened his walking pace as a huge explosion shook the castle walls, rattling the glass of the window panes. He then turned, only once, to say something before turning out of sight around a corner.

“There are people out there who want you dead, Rosewood. If you don’t leave now, I won’t be surprised to find your name among the list of the dead in the Daily Prophet some time soon.”

If that wasn’t enough motivation to be scared, then Rebecca didn’t know what was. She pulled her hood over her head and mask, and quickly made her escape, the feeling of guilt for leaving Draco alone to fend for himself  gnawing at her heart.

But she was a Death Eater. They didn’t have hearts, did they?

She quickly descended the stairs towards the front doors, skirting around a slumped dead body who looked remarkably like Gibbon, dodging to one side as a hex narrowly missed her shoulder. Apparently the fighting hadn’t stopped.

“Not so fast,” came a female’s voice from behind her.

Turning around, Rebecca caught sight of someone standing in the shadows of the huge towering columns that were either side of the door -  her only way out. She thought of killing them as quick as she could, but curiosity as to who it was and what they were doing overwhelmed her.

“Who are you?” she asked, only realising how childish she sounded after saying it.

The person laughed in a peculiar way but didn’t reveal themselves. “Trust me, you know exactly who I am. I’ve been waiting for this chance... this opportunity... for a very long time.”

Rebecca scowled and went to cast a curse at the stranger, but she was too slow. They already had their own wand out, and before she could say anything, their spell hit her in the face, shattering her mask into oblivion.

And then there was darkness.