Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Thirteen

Rebecca looked out of the window, watching as the Scottish countryside rolled past. She lay, sprawled across the seat, her head propped up on the arm rest. Opposite sat Hermione, her head, per usual, in a book.

“Have you read this?” Hermione asked, waving the book.

“No,” Rebecca replied, giving the cover a quick glance, and then turning her head back to the window. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Hermione peering at her from over the book, almost as though she was examining her.

“Shouldn’t you be in the prefects carriage?” Rebecca asked her bluntly.

Hermione shook her head. “No, I’ve already been. Listen, Rebecca-,”

“What about sitting with Harry and Ron?”

Hermione slapped her book shut with surprising force. “Rebecca Rosewood, you listen to me. I know that something’s wrong with you. Ever since this morning you’ve been acting like, well quite honestly, like a Slytherin. So either you’re annoyed with me for something beyond my knowledge, or you don’t want to go home for Christmas.”

“It’s neither,” Rebecca mumbled, sitting up slowly, avoiding Hermione’s eye contact.

“Honestly, I don’t like seeing you like this,” Hermione said more softly, getting up and sliding herself onto the seat next to Rebecca. “Do you remember, on your first morning at Hogwarts, I told you that if you ever needed to speak to me, about anything, you’d know where I am?”

Rebecca nodded solemnly.

“Well, I’m here now.”

The curly haired girl looked at her, her dark hazel eyes shining. Hermione couldn’t help but notice how small she looked. Not in a physical view, although she wasn’t the tallest girl in their year, but more in an emotional way. It was as though her spark had gone. Her usual happy, down to earth chatter had been missing as the train hurtled out of Hogwarts station, and Hermione had hated the awkward silence that the two of them had been sharing.

“That was when you asked me why my parents decided to send me here, instead of continuing my home schooling, isn’t it?” Rebecca’s voice was quiet and subdued.

Hermione nodded. “Yes, I believe it was.”

“Well, I’ll answer that question for you now. It wasn’t my parents decision to send me here, it was someone else’s. I haven’t seen my parents in nearly a year.”

It was obvious to see that Hermione was shocked, but she tried to conceal it, staying quiet instead so that Rebecca could carry on.

“It’s my own fault, though, not theirs. I left them, Hermione. I left my own mother and father, for a boy. And he wasn’t any old boy either, he was a Death Eater.”

This time Hermione openly showed how she felt, her mouth dropping open as Rebecca said the last two words.

“Before you say anything,” Rebecca continued, noting Hermione’s reaction, “I have nothing to do with Death Eaters, and I fully support Harry’s side and the Minestry when it comes down to this.”

Hermione seemed to settle. She swallowed, not knowing what to say. Rebecca was glad she had believed that last lie.

“But back then, I didn’t care that he was a Death Eater. I was in love with him. My family, however, have always been strong supporters of ‘good’, so when they heard that He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named was back, and that my boyfriend was one of his followers, well, they went mad. They told me it was either them, or him-,” Rebecca cut off, exhaling deeply.