Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Ten

It was late into the night, and Rebecca had come downstairs after hearing someone shuffling around. Both her and Harry had been unable to sleep, his worries lying with tomorrows Quidditch match, hers with Draco and the unavoidable prospect of having to exchange letters with Voldemort some time soon.

 “So what are you saying?” she inquired, looking at Harry who was sat the opposite side of the chess board.

His eyebrows were frowning and he was biting his bottom lip in concentration. He swiftly moved his white rook along four squares, winning one of Rebecca’s black pawns. “I’m saying, that I think Ron and Hermione like one another,” he replied, sitting back in amusement. He was totally going to win this game.

Rebecca logically slid her black knight forwards two squares and once to the left, gaining Harry’s rook which he had just moved.“What, as in, like like?”

“Yeah, like like,” Harry grumbled, upset with loosing his rook, strategically planning his next move.

Rebecca’s attention moved to the nearby window as she wait for him to take his go. Stars covered the night sky like millions of tiny diamonds and the moon appeared in a ghostly manner from behind a cloud, casting a strange white glow into the Gryffindor Common Room.

She wasn’t sure how to respond to this new information. If Hermione and Ron really did fancy each other her plan was going to be harder to complete, seeing as singling Harry out from them meant wreaking havoc with their relationships.

It was similar to how wolves hunted. They’d split the caribou herd up, then just hunt the one they favoured, chasing it down and tearing it’s throat out.

“How do you know that they like each other?” Rebecca asked as Harry took his turn, moving his queen away from harm opposed by her bishop.

She was met by Harry’s green eyes staring into her own, his face was half shadowed as they sat in the almost dark. “Mione invited Ron to the Slug Club Christmas party.”

“So you think they fancy each other just because they’re going to a party together? After... how many years of friendship?”

“Six years, and no. Well, yes, but...” Harry trailed off in his own confusion.

Rebecca went back to playing chess to give him some time to think. She moved her black knight again, resulting in the end of the game. “Checkmate,” she said, taking Harry’s king. “Listen, if I were you I wouldn’t worry about it. If they do like one another that much, then in time, they’ll tell each other. Otherwise they’re probably nothing more than friends.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Harry sniffed, not paying much attention to the fact he’d lost the chess game. “The thing is, how do you know if the time is right? To tell the person you love that you care about them?”

With a tap of her wand and a non-verbal spell, Rebecca cleared the playing pieces away, leaving only one out. The black king. “I have a feeling we’re not talking about Ron and Hermione anymore, Harry.”

“Well-,” Harry started, but unfortunately couldn’t finish, as him and Rebecca were suddenly interrupted by someone coming down the stairs from the boys dorm.

“Oh,” Ron said, as he got to the bottom step. “Don’t let me stop your cosy little conversation. It’s not like we’ve got a bloody huge Quidditch match tomorrow morning or anything, Harry. I mean, it’s in less than eight hours, and all you can do is sit and play stupid chess. We’re going to loose!”

Rebecca stood stiffly up from the hard wooden chair she’d been seated in, as did Harry. The two of them started forwards towards Ron who had a terrible scowl on his face, his arms moodily crossed.