"Fire all torpedoes and photons!" Pike ordered as we tried to stay standing.

A particularly aggressive torpedo lurched me forward and I ended up colliding right into someone in a blue uniform that smelt like spearmint toothpaste. I looked up to see that it was Spock and that he had grabbed hold of a nearby stabilization pillar to keep us from falling. To my surprise, a pink tinge appeared on my cheeks at the close proximity.

I hesitated before pushing away from him gently.

"My apologies, Commander," I said but he never replied when suddenly the torpedoes stopped coming from the other ship. Silence hit the room as we came to a stalemate with the opposing ship. You could have heard a pin drop through the tense air.

"Sir! We are being hailed!"" A pretty woman, I think named Uhura, said.

"Put it on the screen," Pike ordered.

Immediately, the moving image of a tan male with angled brows and distinct black tattoos on his face appeared

"Hello," The tattooed male greeted casually.

"I am commander Christopher Pike to whom am I speaking too?" Pike asked.

"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero," He said as if talking to a child he met on a playground.

"You have declared war against the Federation. Withdraw and I will agree to hold a conference with you in a neutral loca- I don't speak for the empire," Nero interrupted. "We stand apart. As does your Vulcan crew mate, isn't that right, Spock"

All eyes went to Spock who only looked the slightest bit taken back.

"I don't believe we have met," Spock said, taking a step forward. If he was nervous or frightened, it didn't show. Of course it didn't, he was Vulcan.

"Oh look, there's your pretty little Ferris," Nero said, his black eyes centering on me. I willed myself to not look away. My heart had been racing before and now it thumped painfully in my chest as the Romulan's gaze turned to me.

Nero's soulless eyes flickered between me and Spock and a knowing grin appeared on his twisted features. "I see you two haven't quite gotten to it yet."

I only realized that he was insinuating that there was something between Spock and I when Jim protectively took a step closer. But what on Earth could make him think such a thing. He must have just been crazy.

Was he from the future or something?

"How do you know my name?" I asked dumbly, unsure of what to say. But Nero simply disregarded my question.

"Spock, there is something I would like you to see," Nero said, his cold gaze returning to Spock. "Your transporter capability is disabled. Captain Pike you are to man a shuttle and come aboard the Narada."

And then the screen went blank as Nero disconnected unceremoniously. A stunned silence lingered on the bridge floor as I looked anxiously from my brother and then to Spock.

Pike stood up swiftly. "Prepare a shuttle," He said, interrupting the tension before attempting to walk away.

"Sir, you know they will kill you," Jim pointed out, causing Pike to hault his exit.

"I agree your survival is unlikely," Spock offered.

"Captain we gain nothing by diplomacy," I added.

"I understand that, do we have any officers with hand to hand training?" Pike asked randomly.

"I do sir," Sulu said, raising his hand and standing. 

"Excellent, come with me. Jim you come too, you aren't supposed to be here anyway," Pike said and all three men followed our Captain out of the bridge and I followed.

I quickly fell into stride with Pike. "Captain, I trust you with my life, but what are you having my brother do?" I asked with concern.

"Don't worry Ferris but without transports, we can't beam off the ship, can't assist Vulcan, can't do our job. I'm creating an opportunity: Mr.Kirk, Mr.Sulu, and Mr.Olson will space jump from the shuttle. You'll have chutes, you will land on the machine they have lowered into the atmosphere that's messing up our gear up and disable it," Pike said swiftly as we all followed him down the hall.

"Was that meant to be reassuring because you missed the mark entirely?" I asked, not letting it go.

"Don't worry las', I'll keep yer brother safe" Mr.Olson said with an Irish from beside me.

That did little to put me at ease as well.

Pike sighed then turned as he was about to go to his shuttle.

"If all else fails retreat and rendezvous with the rest of the fleet in the Lorentzian system. Spock I'm leaving you in command and Jim you are promoted to first officer," He added.

My brows shot upwards as I shared an excited expression with Jim who looked completely surprised.

"Captain?" Spock said, obviously preparing to argue.

"Spock, the chain of command has to be kept on my shop. And make sure to be careful with her she is brand new," Pike said gesturing to the ship.

"I'm sorry captain but the complexity of human pranks eludes me," Spock persisted.

"It's not a prank and I'm not captain. You are."