Chapter Five

WORD COUNT: 1095 words

***

Ladybug's/Marinette's Point of View

Swinging onto the roof of the famous Parisian bakery my mother and father own, the last beep came from my earring Miraculous and I climbed down the skylight and into my room. The transformation wore off as I raced down to my laptop to turn it on.

"Thanks to this amateur footage, the Parisians now know the identities of their heroes!" Nadja, the local news reporter exclaimed.

A picture of me as Ladybug flying out of the stadium was on the news.

"I did it, Tikki!" I exclaimed, my heart pumping with joy.

"You see?" Tikki's sweet voice sounded beside me, "You were up to it!" she sat down on my shoulder.

Mum yelled up the stairs, "Marinette! Dinner time!"

Rushing down the stairs I said, "coming"and almost tripped on my own two feet.

Too bad my superhero balance doesn't stay with me in my civilian form.

I glanced at the television playing in the living room. Mr. Bourgeois, the mayor of the city was on the screen, his regal figure and authoritive voice went out through the speakers near by.

"I am pleased to announce that we will organize a huge celebration in honor of our city's new protectors. Ladybug and Cat Noir."

I smiled up at the TV, liking the title of 'superhero'.

Too bad it won't be on my resume.

Adrien's Point of View

I watched the mayor of Paris on one of my many TV screens in my room, hugging a knee to my chest casually. Plagg was flying around my room, still trying to find food.

Seriously, he never stops eating!

I listened to the Mayor speak, "...organize a huge celebration in honor of our city's new protectors. Ladybug and Cat Noir."

"Ladybug." I stated, "Her name is Ladybug..." I stared at the blue haired girl on the screen next to me, both of us in our new superhero forms.

"Oh, what is this?" Plagg asked, scrunching his nose up at the sight and smell of the food which was placed in a line across the cabinet he was floating next to.

He placed the silver lid over the sparkling silver tray which held yummy food back down, not wanting to see it.

"Seriously?" I asked, eyebrows raised, "My personal chef made all this!"

"If you expect me to get my energy back after the transformation, I need to eat something... delicate!" he stated, rolling his eyes at me; as if I was so oblivious to what kwami's eat.

Hello? I've only known you for a few hours. How am I meant to know what you eat?

"Okay. What do you want?" I sighed, leaning my cheek onto the palm of my hand.

Marinette's Point of View

Mum screamed, her eyes wide and her hands on her cheeks in shock. I looked at the TV as Nadja was reporting another news story.

"Just as Paris is about to celebrate the appearance of out two new superheroes, Ladybug and Cat Noir, a new wave of panic is sweeping across the capital as dozens of people are mysteriously transformed into stone monsters. It's simply unbelievable."

Footage of innocent Parisian civilians getting touched by a purple butterfly and transforming into un-moving Stone Hearts appeared on the screen.

I couldn't believe my eyes. What? I thought we defeated him!

Nadja continued, "These victims transformed into stone beings are still-like statues. The police are perplexed to what will happen to them. Will they come back to life or be frozen in time forever?"

I rushed to my room, running up the stairs and shutting the door behind me. "Tikki, what's happening? I thought we defeated the Akuma."

"Did you catch the Akuma?" Tikki asked.

"What's capturing the Akuma got to do with the other stone beings?" I asked.

"An Akuma can multiply, that's why it must be captured." Tikki explained, "If Ivan's emotions become negative again, then the Akuma will turn him back into Stone Heart! He'll control all the stone beings and bring them to life to serve as his army!" Oh no.

"This is all my fault! I knew it!" I exclaimed, by adrenaline turning into shame and disgust within myself.

I felt hopeless.

"See, Tikki? I'm not cut out to be a superhero! I'm only gonna keep messing up!"

If I keep messing up, the whole of Paris would be in danger. No, the whole of Paris is in danger, right now. Because of me. Because I messed up. And I messed up badly.

"Keep calm." Tikki said softly, seeing the hopelessness on my face. "It was your first time."' she said, "You're going to go back and capture Stone Heart's Akuma, and do it successfully!"

She had so much hope in me.

She believed in me.

The only problem was that I didn't believe in myself.

But if I continue on pulling stunts like this and messing up all of the time, and creating disasters, like I usually do, I won't trust myself with anything.

"I can't! I told you, I'm clumsy! I create disaster all the time! I'll only make things worse for me, for you and for everyone. Cat Noir will be better off without me. I'm quitting."

I can't trust myself to be Paris's superhero. I'm not up for the job. Somebody else should have it.

"You can't quit, Marinette!" Tikki squealed, "You are the chosen one whether you like it or not."

"So what if I'm the chosen one! I'm not up for it! Cat Noir can do the job just fine with out me. He had so much courage today, going head first into a fight, while I stayed back in the sidelines like a wuss."

"But, you did have courage. You have quick-thinking, which is what Ladybug needs. You are fit for the role. Besides, Cat Noir can't capture the akumas. Only Ladybug can."

"Just find another Ladybug." I said stubbornly, "I told you, I'm not cut out to be Ladybug!" Having enough of this worthless argument which wouldn't get me anywhere, I start to take off the miraculous earrings. "I'm sorry Tikki." I mumbled.

"No, don't-" Tikki was cut off as I took out the last earring.

She vanished.

"Tikki?" I asked, and realising that she was gone, my shoulders slumped and I pulled out the box which the earrings came out of, from my dresser. I place the earrings inside of the box and sigh, pushing the dresser drawer shut with the earring inside of it.

"I'm really sorry, Tikki."

****