(5) - Next In Line

The next day

The next day

Being alone in the apartment didn't feel right. The whole place screamed Juhlana, from the modern art to the clashing colors. I missed my Erykah Badu paintings, vinyl records, black interior designs, and video games. My own belongings would at least bring me some happiness, even without drugs.

Lying on my bed, I stared at the ceiling, using the aux cord as a substitute for my vinyl records. Hair sprawled over my face, dressed in a Nike sports bra and boy shorts, I felt disconnected. I hadn't heard from my sisters or my best friend King since my release. I expected more from King; he had always stood by my side, even though he wasn't involved in the drug game like me. But since my incarceration, not even a single Facebook message.

My phone and the paper with Cash's number lay on the counter. I grabbed them both and hesitated before dialing the first number. As I pressed the buttons, a knock on the door interrupted me. Intrigued, I walked over to the living room. It couldn't be my sisters; they would've called. I felt uneasy without any form of protection, not even a bat.

Sighing, I opened the door to see Cash standing right there. This time, he was dressed casually in a tank top and khaki shorts that showcased his tattoos, each telling a detailed story.

"Took too long calling me," he remarked as he entered my apartment.

"I was about to, but-"

"Come here," he interrupted, grabbing my arm and leading me to the blinds that I accidentally left wide open.

"Promise me you can be trusted with this business. I don't trust many men," Cash said, looking down at me and scanning my body.

"Or women," I corrected, earning a serious look from him.

He suggested, "You should put some clothes on," and I agreed, going to my room and returning wearing a robe, tied at the waist. Cash had already found a bottle of Rosé in my fridge, surprising me with its existence. He located two champagne glasses in my cabinets, poured the drinks, and handed me one.

He raised his glass and proposed, "To a new business."

Baffled, I put the glass down. What was going on? Cash expected me to be on board without a proper plan.

"Hold up, I'm not agreeing to anything until you explain," I crossed my legs, leaning into the chair.

Cash sighed, putting his glass down. "You're taking over."

Disbelief washed over me. "Taking over what?"

"My business," he replied, leaving me trying to comprehend what he meant.

I reached for my glass and downed it in one gulp, realizing it wasn't enough.

"Fuck, I need the whole damn bottle now," I groaned, opening the fridge to find the bottle of Rosé. However, I spotted Hennessey right beneath it. Grabbing the bottle, I cracked it open, taking two gulps, and placing it back.