(9)- Unsalvageable

I woke up this morning to yet another day without Haasan by my side in bed

I woke up this morning to yet another day without Haasan by my side in bed. I let out a sigh and reached over to his side of the bed, closing my eyes and imagining if he would suddenly appear and say good morning. But it wasn't the case. I turned onto my side and caught sight of our wedding picture, and it brought a smile to my face. That memory was something I knew would always make me happy.

I could remember our wedding day like it was yesterday. I was incredibly nervous, but as soon as I saw Haasan, it was like he was the only person in the room. Walking down the aisle, everything else seemed to fade away, and it felt as if God was shining a light on Haasan, showing me that he was the one I needed in my life. He was the one who could help me move past my past, both the good and the bad, and guide me towards a better future, where we could build a family together. But as time went on, that memory started to fade as Haasan grew more distant. Our time together became less about dates and more about arguments, and he would often spend time at his friends' houses instead of with me. His absence gave me more space to wonder if he was cheating, and I wasn't willing to tolerate that. I couldn't bear waking up alone in the mornings, worrying about his safety. The only reassurance that he was okay was if he came home to shower or if I saw the home alarm system disarmed while I was at work.

I got out of bed, slipped on my slippers, and made my way downstairs to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and grabbed the leftover bottle of red wine from last night when I was binge-watching Orange Is the New Black.

"It's too early to be drinking," a voice said, causing me to drop the bottle, which shattered into pieces on the floor. I wasn't in the mood to clean it up at that moment.

"Shit," I mumbled.

I looked over to see Serenity and Cash sitting in the living room, enjoying their breakfast. I took a whiff and sighed, smiling at the heavenly aroma of a good breakfast.

"I got your favorite," Serenity said, lifting a bag with the Freedom Wings logo.

It had been so long since I had a satisfying breakfast because Haasan was such a picky eater. The only thing he considered breakfast was oatmeal. I hadn't enjoyed sausage links or regular scrambled eggs for ages. Breakfast with Haasan was all about gluten-free, fat-free, and soul-free options—it was just horrible.

I walked over, grabbed the bag, and opened it, feeling the steam gently brush my face, as if it were kissing my cheek. Sausage links, scrambled eggs, toast, buttered grits, and a single piece of bacon. I couldn't help but smile at the thought of devouring it, but my mind was more focused on why Cash and Serenity were in my house. Whenever Serenity brought food with her own money or any gift, it meant she wanted something. That had been our dynamic since we were kids—Serenity would give me and my other sisters almost anything in exchange for a favor. I had specifically told her not to get involved with Cash, but knowing her, it was like talking to a fish.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, sitting down in the recliner, grabbing a plastic fork, and diving into the grits. I closed my eyes, savoring the taste of the buttery grits dancing on my tongue, which reminded me of my momma's cooking.