"Well, it's stupid, but... are you mad at me?" She finally dared to look at me, probably noticing my brows furrow in confusion.

"What?" I asked, as if I hadn't understood her.

"Are you mad at me?" She repeated.

"No, why would I be?" I said. I was honestly clueless about where all of this was coming from. When she didn't say anything, I added, "Should I be mad at you?"

"No." She replied quickly and turned back around.

I was a little confused. I grabbed her wrist gently, willing her to turn around. When she looked at me, I said, "What's going on?"

"Nothing." She freed her hand and busied herself in the kitchen. I was left there standing, wondering what I'd done wrong now, seeing as we hadn't spoken in two days.

I deliberated if staying silent was the best course of action. And it probably would have been, I thought a moment later, when words started coming out of my mouth. "Can you tell me why you think I'm mad at you? We haven't seen each other for two days, you're the one who invited me here tonight and I'm sure I haven't done anything that implies-"

"That's the point," she said turning around again, "you should be the one telling me what you're thinking! First you... do what you do, and then, you disappear for two days. Now tell me what would you be thinking in my position."

We had raised our voices. Ann was leaning against the counter, a knife she used to cut some vegetables in her hand, while I was standing in the middle of the kitchen. I paused before speaking in order to make sense of things first.

"I thought everything was fine when we left things the last time..." I started taking a few steps towards her, feeling awkward talking across the room.

"I thought so too," she said bitterly, "before you disappeared completely."

I stopped in front of her. "I still don't understand what the problem is though?"

She sighed. "The problem is that-" she stopped mid sentence, "what are you doing?" I'd gotten distracted looking at her hair and wasn't listening, she noticed.

"Nothing." I said and took a step back. "Uh, can you put that knife down, please?" I asked.

The request momentarily broke the tension because she smirked and held it in front of me. "Scared?"

I paused and we made eye contact, holding it for a few moments. I was the one smirking now, "No, but I can't kiss you if you threaten me with a knife." As expected she blushed, but then got visibly mad.

"You see? That's the problem!"

"The problem is that I can't kiss you?" I was playing with fire and I knew it, in fact the knife she was holding was getting increasingly closer to me.

"Cam..." She threatened.

I held both of my hands up in surrender, "Okay, okay... but put the knife down before you stab me."

She did put the knife down, turning briefly around in order to leave it on the counter. In that moment I took a step closer so that when she turned back around we were inches apart.
I put my hands on the counter, trapping her in between and when she tried to push me away I didn't budge.

"Okay, now we can talk." I said and smiled looking down at her.

"You're insufferable." When I kept smiling, she added, "Let me go."

"Not before you say what the problem is."

"You can't threaten me." She protested, putting a hand on my stomach in order to push me away.