24

Two days later.

It was two days later that my ignoring Ann and anything that had to do with her came to an end. I dared to check my phone for the first time in 48 hours and found out that I had a few unread messages, one of which was from Ann.

'Are you coming tonight?'

It had been sent two hours ago and had the awesome effect of making me as anxious as possible at the thought of seeing her tonight.

I honestly don't know why I'd been hiding inside my room for two whole days after what happened with Ann the last time I saw her. In fact, for the first time it had actually ended on a somehow positive note, seeing as she hadn't said or done anything to deny her or my actions. My hiding had more to do with not knowing what to expect from her next. We'd been going around in circles for months, everything always felt like a big deja vu and now, for the first time, the circle had been broken. For the first time she hadn't gone running after the incident or hadn't denied it had actually happened, or at least not yet.

I was scared, I guess. What if as soon as she saw me she'd pretend that we were the best of friends, but friends who did not kiss each other? What if she'd want to talk and deny everything for the nth time? And what if things between us had actually changed for real this time? This last thought was probably even scarier to me, because it felt unfamiliar, it was an unknown situation that I had never even dared to think about before.

I decided that if I wanted to find out I had to see her. And I decided that if things got back into our well known loop, I'd end things between us because we couldn't go on this way anymore. I wrote a quick reply to her message saying that I'd be there after dinner and she almost immediately replied with an 'ok'.

Putting away my phone, I wondered what I'd do for the next four hours and thought that the best thing for me was trying to take a nap so I could at least stop over thinking everything.

***

8.32 pm and I was taking a deep breath before knocking on the now over familiar door.

I was nervous, way more nervous than I should be actually. I felt like a 16 year old boy who was about to break up with his first girlfriend because she didn't love him.

I knocked quietly, half hoping that she wouldn't hear. Instead, I found the door opening almost immediately. I saw Kaylee, Ann's sister, standing in front of me. She was wearing a jacket, a scarf, gloves and boots and I realized she was probably leaving, thank God.

She smiled at me and hugged me saying she was sorry she had to leave and that Ann hadn't told her I was coming, otherwise she would have freed herself to stay another couple of hours. I saw Ann glare at her and I couldn't help but laugh. That earned me another glare, directed at me this time. Okay, so Ann wasn't in the best mood tonight and I thought that couldn't be anything but a positive factor in order to resolve the situation.

When Kaylee left and the door closed behind me, an awkward silence fell between us. I didn't know what to say and apparently neither did she.

I cleared my throat and said a simple 'hi'.

"Hi." She repeated but didn't look at me as she started walking towards the kitchen.

I followed her silently all the while thinking about what to say. But she beat me to it when she suddenly turned around, halfway through the kitchen and stopped me in my tracks.

"Cam, can I ask you something?" She still wasn't looking at me.

"Uh, yeah?" I replied lamely, now ten times more anxious than when I came in.