12

I was lying on the couch when I heard the doorbell ring and my mother curse however was on the other side.

I didn't see who it was and I didn't really care.

"Cam," I heard my mom calling after a while and saw her appear at the living room's door, "do you have something to tell me?"

I feigned ignorance, not that I knew what she was talking about anyway. "No?" I replied.

"Then why was our neighbor looking for you, of all people, to fix her TV?"

If I was drinking I would have probably spat out my drink at the mention of Ann. But since I wasn't, it probably looked like I'd just seen a ghost. "Why," I asked, "don't you think I'd be able to do it?"

"Well, she said you should go over and see what's wrong." She replied dismissively and left.

My stomach felt like it was tied in knots and I suddenly sat up from my lying position. I haven't seen Ann in a week, a very long week. A week I'd passed thinking about my neighbor and Ann and why I could not concentrate when trying to study.

The last thing I expected was for her to come looking for me. Of course she'd said her TV was broken and maybe that was the reason.

Or. It was an excuse to see me.

And if it was, what would she say? Would she pretend that nothing's happened, as she'd asked me to do? Or would she want to talk about it? And what if she said that she never wanted to see me again?

Shit.

Did I really have to go? I wasn't sure I could face her without feeling extremely embarassed.

Fuck it. I had to.

I changed my shirt and breathed slowly in and out before finding myself in front of her door.

I contemplated ringing the doorbell but decided to just knock and I silently prayed that she wouldn't hear it.

I realized luck wasn't on my side though, when I saw the door opening and I found myself in front of Ann, looking exceptionally beautiful in her shorts and black tank top. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out, I just stared like I'd just seen a ghost.

She offered a tentative smile. "Hi, I'm glad you could come."

I muttered a "hi" in return and followed her inside.

She stopped in front of the couch, turning to face me. "I have a problem with the TV, I guess your mom told you?"

Oh, so that really was the reason. I remembered her request from the last time we saw each other. Nothing happened. Right. Everything was back to normal, the usual.

Except it wasn't.

There was a tense atmosphere between us. We could pretend, sure, but we couldn't forget. At least I couldn't.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" I asked, turning my attention to the TV.

"I can't seem to turn it on. Look," she said and tried pressing the switch on button on the remote control. "It doesn't work."

I sighed and extended my hand to take the remote, but in doing so our fingers brushed against each other and I immediately pulled back as if I'd just got a shock. "Sorry." I said and waited for her to hand it to me.

"Have you tried changing the batteries?"

When she didn't reply, I looked up from the remote I now had in my hand to see her flushing from embarrassment. "Uh..."