9

It was Saturday afternoon and I was bored out of my mind. I've been laying on the couch for about two hours, staying completely still and staring at the ceiling instead of the TV. My mother kept walking back and forth between the kitchen and the living room, disturbing my piece and bombarding me with questions.

"Who did you go out with last night?"

And here we go. I rolled my eyes. "Someone from school."

"A friend?" She questioned again.

"You could say, yeah." I knew I was annoying her with my vague answers but I couldn't possibly tell her the truth.

"You're making friends?"

I almost got offended in the wonder and surprise I saw in her eyes. "Yep. And very close, intimate, friends at that." Too bad mother would have a coronary if she knew exactly how close. I almost laughed out loud, thinking about last night.

"You're messing with me, aren't you?" She sighed and shook her head disapprovingly before she left the room.

"No, of course not." I said to her retreating back.

I was checking my phone every couple of minutes, hoping for a text from a person in particular.

Instead, I got a text from Rachel. I sighed. I had been avoiding thinking about her all day.

I opened it carefully.

Hey, I hope I didn't cross any lines last night. If so, I'm sorry. I just wanted to hear from you :)

How do I reply to that? What do I reply to that? I closed the text, I had to think about it.

Another text came, this time from Ann. I couldn't help smiling.

I'm back. Come over if you want.

I jumped up off the couch immediately and tried to straighten my clothes the best I could. "Mom, I'm going out!" I shouted before storming out the door.

***

Ann's door was open and I made my way inside. I looked for her in the living room and in the kitchen but I didn't find her. So I walked towards the bedroom, hearing music coming out of it. The door was open and I peeked inside.

I saw Ann, her back to me, drying her dark wet hair with a towel. I studied her from the feet up, she was wearing very short shorts that didn't cover much and accentuated her shapely behind. I took a sharp intake of breath as soon as I moved my eyes higher and saw her bare back, realizing she had only a bra on. Well, damn, I hadn't imagined I would see her semi-naked this way.

And as I stood there watching her, leaning my shoulder against the door frame, I was even more surprised when she started singing as Forever Young came on the radio or whatever she was listening to.

Let's dance in style, let's dance for a while, 
Heaven can wait we're only watching the skies 
Hoping for the best but expecting the worst, 
Are you gonna drop the bomb or not? 

I tried to refrain from laughing at her singing. She was putting her whole self into it, now bent over with her head upside down using the towel to dry her hair thoroughly. And all the while giving me a completely new perspective of her behind.

Forever young,
I wanna be forever young 
Do you really want to live forever?
Forever and ever 

She was so out of tune it was almost cute. When the song ended she straightened up and threw the towel on the bed. I thought about retreating from the door but before I could order my legs to move, she turned around and jumped as if she'd just seen a ghost. The scream she emitted almost made me shit my pants as if I was the one scared.