As the limo pulled up outside the hotel, the manager greeted us at the front and I was smiling for appearances. I felt nervous and shaky inside and I was glad that it wasn’t showing. Kyler absolutely disregarded the poor man as he pushed through and jabbed at the lift. Last time we were here, he had spared the guy some time at the very least. I glanced disappointedly at him before turning around and apologising.

“I’m so sorry. The stress must be getting to him. It’s nothing personal.” I managed before the lifts dinged open and he pulled me in. I managed another rueful smile and the manager shook his head telling me not to worry about it just as the lift doors closed.

“Kyler, it’s probably nothing that’s racing through your mind.” I reassured him as we were inside.

“What’s wrong?” He asked gripping me firmly on the shoulders.

“Well, –” I began only to be cut off again as the doors dinged open and he sat me down on one of chairs and sat in the one directly opposite.

“Just tell me.” He pressed gently.

“I love you.” I prevaricated, beating myself up inside.

“Really?” He looked amused as he raised his eyebrows.

“Really.” I snapped back before biting my lips. “Sorry.” I apologised.

“I meant to ask if that was really what you wanted to say to me.” He elaborated.

“It’s not.” I sighed and he laughed, with concerning lingering in his voice.

“What’s wrong?” He pushed.

“Kyler,” I choked, biting my lips. “I’m pregnant.” I managed, through tears. He took in a sharp breath and pulled me onto his lap and into a hug.

“It’s going to be okay.” He pressed his lips gently into the nape of my neck. “I love you too. We can get through this.”

“What are your views on children?” I asked carefully. His answer was crucial.

“If you want children, then we’ll have them.” He answered and I shook my head.

“Your view. Not mine.” He glanced at me quizzically.

“I would love to have children but –” I cut him off with a small gasp. He shook his head. ‘But I’m not sure if you’re too young or not.” He answered. I sighed with relief. If he answered any differently, I would have left him even if he was the father of my baby.

“That’s a relief.” I smiled up, my eyes watering slightly with happiness. He shook his head.

“You didn’t honestly think I’ll ask you to abort it?” He asked as he wrapped his arms tighter around me.

“I had my doubts.” I smiled apologetically.

“I would never. You don’t have to worry about it.” He reassured me this time.

“You’re the best.” I grinned up at him and he kissed me.

“Thank you beautiful.” He whispered then he turned me around so I was actually facing him. “I want you to move to New York with me.” He suggested softly. I felt my heart tighten and I tensed up. He must have realised as he continued. “I won’t forgive myself if I receive a call that you’re in labour and I’m all the way in New York.”

“Kyler.” I said his name softly but my voice carried his name with so many emotions.

“We had to talk about this someday. I’m begging you to choose me over your job.” I looked into his eyes and the power of the gaze we held was breathtaking.

“Kyler, you put me in a difficult decision …” I started.

“Do you want some time to think about it?” He asked. “I can drive you home.” I looked at him thankfully and he smiled back. “Anything for you.” He ruffled my hair before grabbing keys and going down. This time, he apologized to the manager before escorting me out.

<> 

The next evening he arrived in his red Mercedes and looked stunning in his loosely buttoned white shirt and snug black jeans. He had called earlier and said he wanted to take me out somewhere special. I left my apartment in a hurry since he was already waiting outside and he greeted me with a kiss. Just a light one but it still left a lingering feeling on my lips.

“Hey there, beautiful. You look stunning tonight.” He looked down at my white strapless and I subconsciously pulled it up.

“Same goes for you. Maybe two more buttons would be good.” I reached for his shirt and unbuttoned two more and he laughed.

“Let’s go.” He kissed my forehead lightly led me to the passenger side.

<> 

He wrapped his arm tightly around my waist as he led me through the pumping club as he led me to the lounge. He sat me down at a lounge and left to buy drinks. I opened my mouth in protest but he was already gone. I sighed as I looked over the railing and watched as the bodies swayed to the pumping music. It reminded me of my high school years. Mish would always drag me to some club or another. I smiled at the memories. I watched entranced as the disco balls twirled around casting rays of lights around the room.

“You like this place?” He asked as he placed the drinks down on the table.

“I haven’t been to a club in ages. Especially one that has such a huge disco ball. They always fascinated me.” I smiled which faltered slightly as I eyed the drinks. “Kyler, I’m pregnant. I’m pretty sure no alcohol is near the top of the rulebook.” I laughed as I pushed the drink away.

“Oh right.” He grimaced. “I’m a bit stupid aren’t I? I’m so sorry! I’ll go get some tea.” He got up to leave again but this time I managed to grab his arm.

“Don’t worry about it.” I pulled him back and

“You’ll find out.” He kissed me before taking my hand and leading me down to the dance floor. I tensed as he pulled me through the mass of bodies. “Relax. Let’s have fun tonight.”

I moved closer to him and began to lose myself in the music. I wrapped my hands loosely around his neck and swayed to the slow tune. I leaned into his chest and he wrapped his arms around me. I closed my eyes and just let the moment sink in. The next hour was filled with slow tunes and I was starting to get suspicious. What happened to the hard party songs that were playing when we walked in?

Kyler pulled me out of the crowd after a while. “Let’s go back up to lounge.” I took up his suggestion and followed him up, fanning myself. He disappeared after seating me back down again. I leaned back and waited for him to come back with maybe a glass of water or better yet, tea if the bar supplied it.

“May I have your attention everyone?” I didn’t even have to turn to know who had spoken. I stood and stood so I could see what was happening. A soft tune was still playing in the background but Kyler stood on the stage with a microphone in his hand. What the hell is he doing?

“Tonight’s an important night for me. I’m glad there’s a crowd here to witness it.” A few cheers erupted and I clench the railing tighter, my heart rate speeding up. He’s about to ….?

“My girlfriend’s standing up in the lounge area.” He pointed to me and I gripped the railing tighter than I could imagine. Most of the heads turned and landed on me. “Yeah, she’s the one in white with the absolute priceless expression on her face.” Laughter sounded and I blushed in response.

“Anyway, I know we’ve only known each for four months but the time I’ve had with you is priceless and irreplaceable. You mean the world to me and our short time together doesn’t matter to me. For all I care, we’ve been together forever. I know the way we met wasn’t normal. I know that things happened and I’m not the easiest person to be around. I have to thank you for sticking by me. I know that we still have a few problems to deal with. I hate how you live on the other side of the world. It pains me to be away from you.” He put the microphone down momentarily and the cheers erupted as he got down on one knee and reached inside his jeans to pull out a black box. He opened it to reveal a stunning yet simple engagement ring. Even from up in the lounge, I could see the huge diamond resting on a simple band. “Marry me, Serenity?”