Chapter Eighteen

Walking back into a room with anyone but Sirius in felt odd, she felt like a naughty child. Though she suspected only the adults had an idea of what transpired in the day they disappeared. Remus smirked as she slipped into the kitchen the following morning.

"Don't even." She muttered as he started to laugh.

"I've missed this." He grinned, "My god I've been miserable in the past, all I needed was you."

"I can never apologise enough." Hazel whispered, stepping closer and hugging his shoulders. "I was so selfish and focused on me and mine that I forgot that I still had you... then I felt too guilty and ashamed."

"Why now then?" he asked, fighting back the anger he felt.

"Anger." She shrugged, "Peace with myself, horror at myself and... I've been the most selfish person."

"Yes you have." Remus nodded. "When Dumbledore told me you'd run to Australia I never thought he meant to stay."

"I'd run to Australia?" She whispered, pulling back and staring at him. "He told you I'd run to Australia? He forced me to leave; he told me that I'd cause nothing but trouble if I stayed, that I wasn't wanted."

"Albus wouldn't say that."

"He wouldn't give me Ebony!" she seethed; "The little girl we all loved, that loved us and who needed us... he wouldn't let me see her, let alone Harry. I threatened to kill him you know."

"Hazel, you're awful at spells." Remus stated as she fell to her seat. "Why didn't you come and find me?"

"I was lost too... I loved him and he'd left Me." she whispered, "Remus I was already on the edge... can't you remember the argument you walked into?"

"It's haunted me since." He nodded. "I'm sorry Haze, I was so angry for so long."

"Me too." She smiled, "No one would tell me anything, I still don't know what's supposed to be happening."

"He's back... you know who." Remus said gently, taking her hand in his. "And he's after Harry, all of us really. When Lily died she cast a spell, protecting him but it only holds when he's living with his aunt, it protects them too."

"How?" Hazel frowned, "I've never heard of a thing."

"Old magic apparently, it's all about Love." Remus laughed shaking his head, "He'd have known more love living with you that's for sure."

"What about Ebony?"

"I have no idea." Remus shrugged, "Probably just because she's Regulus's daughter and he wants her too."

"How did he die, I was never told."

"Me either." He admitted, "It's one of life's mysteries."

Silence fell over them as they thought. Remus held Hazel's hand in his own as she ran her free hand over his wrist. "Nymphadora is pretty."

"If she hears you saying her full name she'll kill you." Remus laughed, looking to the door as though he was expecting her. "She's an amazing witch."

"You like her!" she gasped, gripping his hand tightly. "Moony!"

"I don't like her." He snapped, trying to pull away but Hazel held firm. "Hazel, let go."

"I've known you since we were seven, you cannot lie to me."

"I'm not lying."

"Tell me the whole truth of it Moony." She ordered as the door swung open to reveal Mrs Weasley and three of the children.